Bracket Talk
Just curious about Goodyear slicks

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/4957035296

February 06, 2020, 07:01 PM
Larry Woodfin
Just curious about Goodyear slicks
Does Goodyear have any of the bracket race market?

Larry Woodfin

February 06, 2020, 07:52 PM
Cashflow
First let me say this is just MY opinion. You may have Goodyear slicks and love them.

In 53 years that I have been doing this not once has a Goodyear tire worked for me. If you gave me a set I would not take them.

If you’re gonna try some then good luck!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
February 06, 2020, 08:07 PM
SP 124X
There are definitely cars out there winning on goodyears. Dave Triplett won the million on them I'm pretty sure.

Denis LeBlanc

February 06, 2020, 08:59 PM
ImBack
Aaron Vail,runs alot of big $ races and uses them on both cars. I used to run the 1984 on my Malibu I had years ago, they hooked good and we're very consistent but the side walls would go away within 100 passes.
February 06, 2020, 11:02 PM
Little Chief
Larry,a few months ago I found an email address for a person with Goodyear supposedly in the performance side of the business. I asked if they just concentrated on the pros or cared about sportsman racing with tire development but never received a reply. I also asked why we never see them at any of our bracket races in Texas. Oh well I guess I got my answer.
February 07, 2020, 05:51 AM
WHOMPWHOMP
I tried their latest dragster tire ONE PASS if that tells ya anything....but think they are like Hoosiers in that they will work on door cars
February 07, 2020, 08:24 AM
TD3550
quote:
Originally posted by Little Chief:
Larry,a few months ago I found an email address for a person with Goodyear supposedly in the performance side of the business. I asked if they just concentrated on the pros or cared about sportsman racing with tire development but never received a reply. I also asked why we never see them at any of our bracket races in Texas. Oh well I guess I got my answer.

Who's email were you trying? If it was Mart from Goodyear Racing, he would of contacted you without a doubt.
February 07, 2020, 08:28 AM
SuperPro54
I run the D1408 Goodyears. They have also was worked great.
February 07, 2020, 08:41 AM
Cashflow
Mike Wiblishouser runs them on his S/G car and he is tough as a boot. Maybe he gets a super deal on them.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
February 07, 2020, 08:34 PM
67TSCHEVY2
They work great for burning brush piles and keeping warm ..... otherwise don't waste your $
February 08, 2020, 08:44 AM
ferndaleflyer
^^^^^^^ Thats my take also. Like buying a Rolls Royce when a Chev pick up will get the job done better. I never had any luck with them and they cost WAY to much
February 08, 2020, 02:17 PM
RacerVX54
Don't tell the fuel guys they don't work lol.. Goodyears always worked good for me when i ran them. Actually a 3 major brands have worked well for me..

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55
February 08, 2020, 05:36 PM
Alaskaracer
I had a set of Goodyears on my old car before I sold it. They worked, but the 60' was all over the map with them. Mickeys have been good to me, gonna keep running them....at least when I'm not trying to kill them......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
February 09, 2020, 06:57 PM
358T
Goodyear has always been my go to brand.

But I have had varying success with all of them. Firestone/Phoenix, M/T, Hoosier, GY

Scott

WWW.KillerRONS.COM
February 10, 2020, 07:55 AM
Tim Mitchell
if you are willing to put in a little work on suspension any brand will work. I've tried all of them and made them work, but I always ended up back at Goodyear. M/T would be my second choice.
February 10, 2020, 02:04 PM
Kole Pritchett
I run the 3122 Goodyears on my car.
February 10, 2020, 02:21 PM
FootbrakeJim
I ran GY's for 10 years, on a heavy, slow footbrake car. Traction was good on any decently prepped track, and in hot weather. But the sidewalls always cracked and looked weather-checked very quickly, and consistency went away as well, in a few months to a year. (No matter what, where, or how I tried. One GY rep told me I was probably storing them too close to my compressor over the winter?). 60's were never deadly consistent, (nothing like the way M/T's worked for me, once I tried them). Years later, car got lighter, power went up a bunch, and I went to a trans-brake. Tried them again for a short while, and after 2 months, they looked older than some old worn out Mickeys that had been sitting outside for 3-4 years. I went back to M/T, short times tightened up again. Haven't looked back since. FWIW, had good luck with Hoosiers way back also, but they just didn't last long for me.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!
February 11, 2020, 06:07 AM
sst5167
I have been running Goodyear on my door car since 2009. We bought a dragster in 2014, and tried all 3 major brands the first couple seasons. I take my racing serious, and like to test a LOT to make my cars as good as they can be. I stuck with the Goodyear on the dragster as well. It would be VERY tough to convince me to switch to any other brand.

Mike Boehner
February 11, 2020, 10:09 AM
Bucky
Does this make the OP
G y curious? LOL.
A friend of mine runs Goodyears and always has. Mounts tires of all sorts for people all season long. But always goodyears on his car. He wins plenty. But then he could tighten up the stripe driving a Yugo.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bucky,

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo