DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    New project, "foot brake practice chair"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New project, "foot brake practice chair"
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Racers,

I have the idea to build a foot brake practice chair utilizing a full-size practice tree. [I have an older full-size tree that I "think" can be brought back to service] Let's brainstorm about this, what equipment will be needed, how will it be configured to be as close as possible being at the track?

I will document the build with all details, all parts, all hardware, and practice results. I have the basic vision of a full-size chair with a footrest, brake pedal fixture of some sort, and some tyle of "gas pedal" that will trigger the practice tree.

When I return to action [most likely next Spring] I want to come out of the box ready to race with competitive driving. I think this will be a good tool to accomplish the goal.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Sounds interesting, Larry; I hope it works out for you. I wondered about such an item myself.

I'm thinking there are several ready-made units, such as this that might provide the basic CPU for you. I think it comes with a 6' tree as it is, and seems to have plug-in push button cords.

https://www.biondoracing.com/product/FT-8200-PKG.html

Most if not all commercial practice trees I think to be geared toward transbrake racers, but not footbrakers.

Would it be an option to set up your tree in the garage or enclosed trailer, and set up your actual race car to train with?

You're sitting in your own race car seat, working your own pedals and looking out your own windshield.

It saves you from having to rig up a pedal and seat arrangement.

You may need two switches, I reckon hooked in series; one for the brake pedal and one on the accelerator pedal. When you 'switch feet' both switches are operated.

A stock brake light switch could maybe be used on the brake pedal. The carb linkage could maybe be unhooked temporarily and connected to some sort of switch.

You may need to tinker with the 'rollout' on your trainer to better simulate the real racing experience. Or adjust your cars rollout or vehicle reaction time when you're actually launching, to match the practice tree.

Cheers,
Troy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bad Nusz,

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post