DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Electric water pumps advice needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric water pumps advice needed
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Looking for input on Electric water pumps. Going on 355 chevy bracket car, dyno'd 450HP. Car also driven on street couple times a month. I see them advertised with flow rates from 20 GPM to over 50 GPM. What would be a good flow rate to look for with this application? Thanks for your input..

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

Posts: 102 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: June 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
www.meziere.com

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I had piss poor results with the Maziere and when it failed they wanted to charge me more to rebuild / repair it than Summit sold them for new. On my new dragster I am going to try the BMW electric water pump. They are around $150 shipped on Ebay and designed to run at temperatures well over 200* for thousands of miles. It has to be better than any of the racing pumps and it is lighter to. Only problem is it has hose ends on it and a different type electric connector. I found a connector and welded on the AN fittings so I can use the hoses I want. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Elect...?hash=item3aec7bcc40

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3966 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slick Vic:
www.meziere.com

THIS^^^

all you need for your application is the standard pump

https://www.meziere.com/Produc...evy-SB-Standard.aspx

Understand that the higher flow rates are also only achieved with larger diameter hoses/inlets.

That said, I have 2 Meziere water pumps, this one in use since 2008, 10 years of trouble free service

and this one in use since 2015, 3 years of trouble free service

Meziere water pumps are considered the benchmark of electric water pumps today. You'll also find them on just about every top shelf engine build/car and everyone I know running one, whether block or remote mounted has never had an issue or failure.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Meziere and the higher flow rate ones you have to buy with the nipple for hose welded on so have to order hose size you have, can’t use a screw in nipple with those as the option isn’t there.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of RTsr.
posted Hide Post
We've been using the Proform 35GPH on both SBC bracket motors [500 & 650HP] for 10+years without problems. Guess we're lucky?
quote:
Originally posted by BTR69:
Looking for input on Electric water pumps. Going on 355 chevy bracket car, dyno'd 450HP. Car also driven on street couple times a month. I see them advertised with flow rates from 20 GPM to over 50 GPM. What would be a good flow rate to look for with this application? Thanks for your input..

RT
An "old" racer turned pit crew.

Posts: 11 | Location: ON Canada | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
all you need for your application is the standard pump

https://www.meziere.com/Produc...evy-SB-Standard.aspx

Understand that the higher flow rates are also only achieved with larger diameter hoses/inlets.

That said, I have 2 Meziere water pumps, this one in use since 2008, 10 years of trouble free

Meziere water pumps are considered the benchmark of electric water pumps today. You'll also find them on just about every top shelf engine build/car and everyone I know running one, whether block or remote mounted has never had an issue or failure.[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^^
This

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
BarneyB...KNOWS clapping

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Just so you know a meziere pump rated to the higher flow also has a bigger motor on it so if space is tight with a regular one then the higher rated meziere won’t fit. Been there done that and ended up taking a beating on a brand new pump to get rid of it.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. Looking like I'll be getting the Meziere piece. Can't speak for any clearance issues yet since front clip is off car. Will measure clearance before I order pump, once I have the front back on. Thanks again and have a great day.

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

Posts: 102 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: June 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I've ran Meziere since '08 with no issues. My pump is mounted on the radiator though so it's easy to switch between sbc and bbc motors.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
One other thing to check is if you run a timing belt instead of a chain is the clearance between back of pump and cam sprocket. The higher rated Meziere has a rear cover that is bolted on and will interfere with a comp cams belt drive without spacers and only front motor plate on a big block chevy.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No issue with my CV Products belt drive

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
Love Meziere, have it on my '69 Cutlass, but didn't run it on the street since it went on. My good friend ran one too, on his mid 11s Fox body that he drove 60 miles round trip weekly to the track, never gave him an issue, still running it today.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I still run meziere but my first one made it a whopping two weeks....the old CSR never gave me any issues....

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Meziere in my street driven Vette for about 10 years. Over 1000 passes and thousands of street miles without an issue. I bought the high capacity pump, but as some have mentioned, my hoses are smaller than the suction inlet, so std capacity would probably be fine.

Posts: 722 | Location: Somers, ny | Registered: October 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Call Meziere and speak with Jerry. He will dial you in on which pump to use. Dude knows his stuff.

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12268 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
As everyone said, meziere. Fantastic products, even better customer service.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post