DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    powerglide problem
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

powerglide problem
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
After the 2nd round.... no low gear or reverse. I suspect the band but not sure if it may be the drum that the band clamps on. Metal in the pan also.
Thoughts?
Thanks

Posts: 42 | Location: East Coast | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Broke planetary.

Posts: 20 | Location: Michie,Tn. | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rerun:
Broke planetary.

YUP

Posts: 2432 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
planetary? what!!! WOW,
if so what brand do you recommend? 700HP 1/8 mile, 2500LBS, 1.76 now
THANKS

Posts: 42 | Location: East Coast | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
Although expensive, I'd recommend something with straight cut gears. I still have OEM 1.76 gears in mine and I'm just waiting for them to fail.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1353 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bradsc1954
posted Hide Post
Call FTI for a gear set. Great people to deal with.

Posts: 133 | Location: Weare NH USA | Registered: July 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Why planetary? This happened in the pit area. I thought the PG’s band was low gear and also engaged also with the reverse clutch pack?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bullcutter:
Why planetary? This happened in the pit area. I thought the PG’s band was low gear and also engaged also with the reverse clutch pack?

When you say metal in the pan, it points to something other than a band...……….

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Most likely pump, input shaft or the splines in the bottom of converter.

Posts: 2963 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
PG’s band was low gear and also engaged also with the reverse clutch pack?

the band is for low gear only.

Posts: 2963 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If 2nd. gear works get a set of 1.80s and don't look back.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Just for the record,,,, It is the planetary

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Low gear and reverse are both geared the same through the planetary, the different clutch or band application obviously changes the direction it spins.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just for the record,,,, It is the planetary

Give FTI a call.....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why planetary? This happened in the pit area.

??? Curious what could have broken a planetary in the pits? Any PG experts have thoughts?
I've got a completely fresh PG from a well-known & reputable builder for my 68 Camaro build, but it is not their high-end unit, and it does have a 1.76 set in it. Now I am worried...

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Unless he was doing something really stupid in the pits, I would say it was right on the verge of breaking and next time in was put it gear it let go. Stranger things have happened.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TH383
posted Hide Post
I didnt know I broke my planetary till I backed out of pits and it locked up. Must have broke run before.

Posts: 831 | Location: PA | Registered: November 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I once made a perfectly good run and then had the planetary lock up as I pulled away from the timeslip booth.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
OK, those last 3 comments helped some. I did have a valve spring break once right as I pulled into my pit spot at idle.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Yep I lost in finals of Halloween classic at Norwalk one year then went to another track the following week and after warming up my car I went to back into my pit spot and presto it looked up. I dropped the trans ran home for another stock planetary and had it back together for first round. Haven’t had a stock unit for over 15 years now.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post