DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Vacuum pump sensor placement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vacuum pump sensor placement
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Installing A Racepak on dragster. we do not currently have a gauge for the vacuum pump. any suggestions?

Posts: 35 | Location: texas | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
If your valve covers are thick enough drill and tap for a 1/8" NPT fitting and run a short vacuum hose to the sensor.

Otherwise weld a fitting to a cover.

Or if intake is off drill and tap it for a fitting.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to drill any holes. Depending on the size of the fittings. If it's -12AN or smaller you can get a gauge port adapter to mount on the vacuum side. It has a female 1/8 NPT hole, that you can put a fitting in and go to the sensor. On pressure transducers, it's best to remotely mount them due to vibrations from the engine harmonics.

-12 Gauge Port Adapter

Posts: 3 | Location: Grand Junction, CO | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
I always put them in the fuel pump block-off plate. Drill and tap an 1/8” npt hole but do NOT install the sensor in that hole. Install a push-to-connect fitting in the hole and mount the sensor in a rubber vibration mount or the sensor will not last long.

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
X2 on fuel pump block off plate. I have push lock hose running to my gauge and when I installed the data logger I put a Y at the gauge and the vacuum sensor behind the dash by the logger.

This way there’s no hose to disconnect and remember to reconnect every time you take the valve covers off.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
X2 on fuel pump block off plate. I have push lock hose running to my gauge and when I installed the data logger I put a Y at the gauge and the vacuum sensor behind the dash by the logger.

This way there’s no hose to disconnect and remember to reconnect every time you take the valve covers off.

x3. I've never understood why this isn't the most common location.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3150 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
I have a tee fitting on the inlet side of the pump and installed a gauge right there. Doesn't matter where in the system you're reading vacuum from. Valve cover, fuel pump block off plate or at the pump inlet, the vacuum reading will be all the same.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1351 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We have a BBF with a belt drive so no fuel pump block off plate , i like the idea of the gauge adaptor for the hose plus it will be simple. thanks y'all,

Posts: 35 | Location: texas | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
Actually, I have a double Tee at the pump inlet. One is for the gauge, the other is the relief valve. Same theory, it don't matter where the relief valve is in the system. If vacuum gets too low, the valve creates a leak in the system.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1351 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have an aluminum oil pan. Right at pan rail level is a plug. Would this be an ok place for vacuum sensor? Alum Block / has no FP block off.

Posts: 212 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BarneyB:
Install a push-to-connect fitting in the hole and mount the sensor in a rubber vibration mount or the sensor will not last long.

Skip this step and you will be purchasing a $190 replacement sender.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info, we did see it on the package also. Thanks for your help Greg my brother inlaw has been the one working with you on this set up.