New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooling Fans
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I am currently running a SPAL 12 inch (VA10-AP50/C-25A 12v) fan. Ive seen some info and comments where others have said they have better options out there. In the 12 inch fan what is everyone running? Also I am on 16v.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
SPAL 12 inch (VA10-AP50/C-25A 12v)

something with a curved blade would pull more CFM. but the best thing you can do is make sure the shroud is sealed to radiator so all the air flow has to be pulled through fins.

Stephen Liss jr

Posts: 329 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of jdbsmith
posted Hide Post
I had a 12v Flex-a-Lite fan on a 16 volt system. The fan ran too fast and if I turned the fan on while the battery charger was on it fried the fan. I couldn't charge between rounds because I needed to cool the car down.In the unlikely event that I went more than a couple rounds the car would be hard to start because I had not charged the battery. During this Covid-19 BS I changed to a 24v Flex-a-Lite Trimline fan. I also added a 16v alternator. In the shop both alternator and fan work great. Have not been able to run the dragster yet, so no actual experience yet.
quote:
Originally posted by Stephensx04:
quote:
SPAL 12 inch (VA10-AP50/C-25A 12v)

something with a curved blade would pull more CFM. but the best thing you can do is make sure the shroud is sealed to radiator so all the air flow has to be pulled through fins.

Posts: 42 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: August 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have this SPAL 12" fan on my dragster

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spu-ix-30101504

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
Pretty sure this is the fan that came on my C&R radiator. 1640 cfm. Running on a 16 volt system.

https://www.spalusa.com/produc...ducts%2ffans%2f12%2f

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <DOTracer>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I have this SPAL 12" fan on my dragster

I have the same. No issue running it at 16v either

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
24v Flex-a-Lite Trimline fan

What would be the advantage of going to a 24v if only running 16v through it?
This will be on a door car with a closed front end, so more cfm may be better in this case.

Curved blade or straight blade

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have this 16" Flex-A-Lite fan on my Firebird

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-396

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
That one looks nice Ed but I cant fit the 16 inch.
Was looking at this one https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spu-ix-30101522

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Try these fans.
gccooling.com/

Posts: 60 | Location: div5 | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinChicken:
That one looks nice Ed but I cant fit the 16 inch.
Was looking at this one https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spu-ix-30101522

If you are having issues cooling and feel it’s fan related, IMO, a single 12” fan just doesn’t pull enough air/cfm in a door car on gas.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Its on an older Davis roadster. Im not having that big of a cooling issue, I was just looking to improve the fan since I needed to change i anyway. The front of the car is enclosed so getting air is tuff .

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The only air the Firebird’s radiator gets is what is scooped up off the lower spoiler. You will help yourself by running straight water in the radiator and hitting the water box at no hotter than 130

DRR Trophy
Picture of jdbsmith
posted Hide Post
The fan worked fine on 16v. The problem was when charging with the battery charger at 18.5 volts with the fan running it smoked the fan motor.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinChicken:
quote:
24v Flex-a-Lite Trimline fan

What would be the advantage of going to a 24v if only running 16v through it?
This will be on a door car with a closed front end, so more cfm may be better in this case.

Curved blade or straight blade

Posts: 42 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: August 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jdbsmith:
I had a 12v Flex-a-Lite fan on a 16 volt system. The fan ran too fast and if I turned the fan on while the battery charger was on it fried the fan. I couldn't charge between rounds because I needed to cool the car down.In the unlikely event that I went more than a couple rounds the car would be hard to start because I had not charged the battery. During this Covid-19 BS I changed to a 24v Flex-a-Lite Trimline fan. I also added a 16v alternator. In the shop both alternator and fan work great. Have not been able to run the dragster yet, so no actual experience yet.[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stephensx04:

I have a twist lock plug and a cord that goes to the trailer battery for running the fans and water pump while charging the 16 volt, with the master switch off. Runs all the 12 volt stuff with no problem.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post