New
Find
Notify
Tools

LS swap project
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I am in the planning stages of an LS swap with my nephew in his '65 chevy truck. I have located a salvage yard in San Antonio that will sale us a 6.0 LQ4 engine complete with 4L80E transmission and the computer with wiring harness for $2500.00. The goal is to make 500hp. The salvage yard says we will need to change the heads to the 243 casting and do some porting along with a spring upgrade and cam to reach 500 hp. He sales the heads for $250.00. I also plan to freshen the engine.
Now for my questions.
1. Does the prices seem in line?
2. Are stock rod bolts strong enough for this hp and if so are they reusable? Not sure if the rod bolts and main cap bolts are torque to yield bolts.
3. Should we use the stock computer and wiring harness and reflash it or go with an aftermarket setup?
I'm sure we will have more questions but this will get us started.
Thanks
David

This message has been edited. Last edited by: davidsracing,

Posts: 134 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My shop told me he took one of those motors straight from junkyard with 180,000 miles and did cam swap and changed to carb and it made 480 hp on dyno.
My nephew has a motor there now that he is doing cam, heads and carb setup to put in his race truck so will know some numbers soon. He only paid $500 for motor with 52,000 miles and shop said about $2500 for cam, heads, intake, labor and dyno tune basically nephew supplied the motor, carb and ignition.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Head , Main and rod bolts are one time only.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Green1, where did he get the engine for $500.00, was it a buddy deal or a salvage yard? Also we are staying with fuel injection so a carb is out.

NFC, thanks for the info on bolts. Any suggestions on replacement bolts? Are OEM bolts ok? If anyone knows torque/angle info I would appreciate any help. Currently I have a Haynes manual with OEM specs. If I get aftermarket fasteners I assume they will have their own specs.
David

Posts: 134 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
He bought the motor off of Facebook out of a wrecked truck. That’s all I know other than it was around Pennsylvania somewhere.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Rocket, do you mind sharing the specs on the cam?
We are doing a similar motor.

Posts: 40 | Location: east central ohio | Registered: October 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We bought a LQ9 out of an Escalade with 160,000 miles and the rod and main bearings looked great.
But the cam bearings needed replaced.

Posts: 40 | Location: east central ohio | Registered: October 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Romeo
posted Hide Post
My brother has a LQ4 stock as delivered crank, rods, and pistons. Replaced cam bearings, and has a Brian Tooley cam in it something like
LS1/2 Stage III Cam 231/242 .617"/.592" 112+2 I believe. 243 GM heads, carb intake, and Rupert 750. Powerglide behind it, and weighing 3300 or so, he's been 10.40's/6.60 footbraking.

Jones Transmission Pumps
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA

Posts: 780 | Location: New Alexandria, Pa | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Some of the early LQ4's had cast iron heads. Those engines were rated at 300 hp I believe.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
I have an LQ4 that I paid $1200 for. It's got 43.000 miles. I used a carb and MSD box, along with a powerglide with about 3500 stall. I also stuck a Texas speed cam/spring/pushrod kit in it.
I put this in a 93 S10 and I don't know how much HP it has, but I can tell you it hauls butt! I just ordered a 9" ford rear for it, so I'll soon know how fast it is.

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
Cost of these engines depend on your location. I paid $2500 for an LS2 out of an 07 Trailblazer SS with 125k on it. I intend on running this on the street in my 72 Nova project after a cam/spring upgrade and other misc. changes.

David Deming
1974 Chevy Nova Custom Hatchback
Horsepower Innovations E85 Carb

Posts: 325 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Do you plan to rebuild the engine and trans before installing into the 65?
I would say the price is right if you do not plan to rebuild. If you plan to rebuild then I would look for something cheaper.
A cam change and some texas speed ported truck heads, bump the compression to around 10.5 or 11 to 1. You will make a easy 500+hp, Yell you can do that with a 5.3 bored out to 5.7"

If you plan to rebuild I would get a 5.3 gen 4 (2006+) short block. Bore out for a LS1 5.7 piston, install a set of ARP rod bolt.

The 5.3 truck engine and the 6.0 both have the same stroke. put some compression in a 5.3 and it will run with a 6.0.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 238 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Motor made 512 hp with heads off a 6.2 but don’t know if they had any work done to them. Has 750 carb and Edelbrock intake and cam swap is only aftermarket parts that I know of and I think about little over $3000 total into it.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Clint any chance you could ask him what the casting number is on the heads and ask him what cam he has in it?
Thanks.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
May be no help, but our local Wrench-A-Part has 20% off all engines this weekend.
$2500 for engine and trans is too high by about a grand in my area.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 488 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I will see what I can find out.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
6.0 from 02 2500 Pick-up 150,000 miles cam springs and oil pump . Stock harness Camaro intake and oil pan . Tuned on dyno 355 to rear tires 7.60 in 1/8 thru mufflers 323 rear gear turbo 350

Posts: 27 | Location: Athens Al | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Built a 5.3 bored to 5.7, Stock Gen4 rods and crank. CNC ported heads from texas speed. .621/.604 lift Hyd cam. On pump gas it made 570hp at 6800rpm at the crank. Very easy build.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 238 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Heads are 823 casting with some work done but don’t know how much.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
Heads are 823 casting with some work done but don’t know how much.

Clint those numbers aren't bad.
Did he indicate what cam he used and what rpm it turned?
Also any torque numbers?
Thanks.