DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Onan 7500 Quiet Diesel issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Onan 7500 Quiet Diesel issues
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I’m getting a code 36, generator is shutting off especially over night, it stopped 3 different times the other night. I have noticed it has down some strange things lately in that like it shuts off part of the electrical, like kicks out and then puffs smoke then start running the whole thing again? Any ideas where to look or what to look for? Fuel and air filter are fresh changing oil in it today.

Posts: 400 | Location: Vinita, OK | Registered: April 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Check your fuel line supply to the generator.
Code 36 is it ran out of fuel
Any air being drawn in at fuel supply line or a line that dips down and can get an air pocket in it can cause it.
A tank can get contaminants in it and I’ve seen that too
Replace the fuel pump
It’s right inside above the access trap door on the bottom where you change the oil and filters.

If none of that is a problem you may have much bigger problems inverter/control related

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have had some inverter issues as well, I had just replaced the fuel filter last time out, but have had an issue with a puff of smoke out of the generator as well when the partial power shut off Happens. I’ll get another fuel pump and filter and swap those out as well.

Posts: 400 | Location: Vinita, OK | Registered: April 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
That is an inverter design unit

The controls and the inverter unit are all in one and sealed and not serviceable or repairable...

They can and do some very odd things and trust me I've seen some really crazy things over the years on them

Unfortunately the inverter/control units are very expensive and none are available at the present time

I was told they are being built to order a while ago and time frame is ridiculous....6 months...

I had 2 machines in the last few months that had problems.....called Cummins and that's what I was told....

1 machine was nearly new and had 150 hours....I don't know what happened in that case....On a new Snap-On tool truck...

Other one was also on a Snap-On tool truck but about 15 years old.....

The 3 cyl. Kubota engine in your machine does not like air in the system.....not even a little bit....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
Following this thread because our gas 7500 onan is doing same crap. just randomly shuts off. but will crank right back up after priming the fuel pump. no code is flashed when this happens. Super Angry

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I got into the habit of tightening the fittings on the fuel filter before tightening the bolt that holds the filter into place on mine. Several times I had the same symptoms and it led back to the inlet fitting having a small leak and let the system draw air.

Posts: 146 | Location: Left of Center | Registered: February 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'll be watching this also. Mine has done the same thing a couple of times lately. Just suddenly shuts off but will start right up and run fine for hours then do it once more. Twice it did it right after I had fueled up. Tank holds 100gal and was about 1/2 full. Fuel filter is changed every year along with oil filter and oil. PIA!

Posts: 6196 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRB Motorsports:
Following this thread because our gas 7500 onan is doing same crap. just randomly shuts off. but will crank right back up after priming the fuel pump. no code is flashed when this happens. Super Angry

Those 2 machines are not similar in anyway

Your issue is one of 2 things usually...
Control Board or fuel pump
They will also shut off if they get too hot and there is NO high temp shutdown feature
They just get to hot and quit
They are air cooled and need a big fan blowing the hot exhaust air away from thecooler inlet air area.....
The control boards and fuel pumps can both be the cause of intermittent random shutting off..

I change them both

ONAN in some foreign language means "shuts down for no reason " LOL

I deal with it all the time.....

On any Onan you MAY be able to recall the last shutdown fault by pushing STOP 3 times fairly quickly...
Might have to do that a few times but once it starts flashing 3's push stop ONCE and the last shutdown code should be shown....

36 is probably the most common and it points to ran out of fuel

On gas powered machines the fuel pump and carb fuel flow enable solenoid are on the same circuit supplied by the control board
It FAILS when hot many times and the board IS the problem but it points you elsewhere....
The same thing happens on diesel machines.....fuel pump circuit quits...

There is a fuse on the gas machines in a holder usually just floating around on the left side below the switchbox....That fuse holder and wiring can get corroded but generally not the problem

There is no fuse on the diesels dedicated to that circuit...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln:
I got into the habit of tightening the fittings on the fuel filter before tightening the bolt that holds the filter into place on mine. Several times I had the same symptoms and it led back to the inlet fitting having a small leak and let the system draw air.

The metal box type filter is easy to get a slight leak....I always check them with the machine running..

Those filters are not available anywhere right now and for some time.....Nobody has them...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
They are available, I just got one yesterday to replace the one I gave another racer awhile back.

Posts: 6196 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
None at Onan, Napa, a truck parts place we buy from or our major Wix filter supplier

Onan showed 4 available at one warehouse in my region. I ordered 2, days ago and nothing has come in. Should have been one day to get to me.

Have no idea why a simple filter would be in short supply
We have this same issue with a lot of other filters.

It’s crazy ?

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Dang
Maybe the russians are involved in this!! Mine is doing the same thing..onan7500 diesel..shuts down then flashes code 36
I just got a filter off amazon its a fleetguard ff23..cant read last number.says made in usa

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I to tried everywhere. Had to get something else at industrial supply store and just asked and they had them. I gave that one away at Bristol and just went back in there and got another. Have to look at the name on it.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Those Amazon ones are JUNK.
I searched all over but couldn't find any so I went against my better judgement and bought an Amazon one.
I tried replacing the old one with the NEW Amazon one and it was WORSE then the one I took out.
I flushed the old one out and put it back in, runs PERFECT now.

Just an FYI.

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 954 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Folded paper is all that's inside one....

I've cut many filters open...
Metal can with hoses that use brass fittings to connect
Wix 33063
Napa 3063
Onan 149-2513

The newer version of those machines have an inline round all metal filter with clamp on 5/16" rubber hoses in and out....

Onan 149-0860
Wix 33310
Napa 3310

Adapting the older type machine fuel lines to the newer type filter might be do able....I have not resorted to that yet....