DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    2014 Chevy duramax with dfp delete
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2014 Chevy duramax with dfp delete
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted
Hello all,

Looking at possible buying a 2014 Chevy 3500 duramax. The only thing that concerns me is that it has a dfp delete on it. I live in texas.

So looking for what are my actual risk with purchasing this truck, tickets, and resale?

I do like the truck

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
No inputs or advice?

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Not sure on laws and regulations. But put it this way. if you had a truck with all that POS DPF system on it you would want to take it off. Someone else did all the leg work for you already.

Stephen Liss jr

Posts: 329 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Altered emissions Federal law. Nope. Sounds like a private non dealer sale. Say you buy it and do a trade 3 years later, dealer does the inspection and finds it altered. Your stuck. You don't want the headache. Same situation i run into with the Semi's. Unless it's put back together. For example, i had 2 fairly new tractors that broke down right out of warranty. 1 Freightliner and 1 Pete. Systems were altered after warranty. Dealer says nope. Altered.

Even denied any computer work diagnostics and or Comp work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
read the part about selling a vehicle with tampered emissions controls. https://www.tceq.texas.gov/air...etech/tampering.html

Posts: 138 | Location: Midlothian, Texas | Registered: October 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Dead On
posted Hide Post
Bill, I have a 2012 GMC Dually. I started having issues with the DPF component of the exhaust system. I did several forced Regens but it was only a temp fix and returned soon after. A new DPF is around 2500 dollars. Being in Texas I recommend Diesel Pros in Hurst. I took my truck there and they did the "delete", which for me meant they left the DEF tank and EGR valve but disabled them in the computer. They did remove the DPF from the exhaust system. It got ever so slightly louder but not bad by a long shot. It does not "roll coal" and my milage has gone up by 3 mpg and I also now have a lot more power. I rarely trade in my vehicles opting to sell them outright my self and take the higher profit. In Texas diesels only need to pass safety inspections i.e. Brakes lights wipers ect. For me pulling a race trailer car golf cart support equip its been great. The decision is your but for me I'd rather spend the 1200 for the delete rather than the 2500 for the DPF and still need to go fill with DEF, that crap is nasty. Hope this helps some.

Posts: 73 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
The truck already has the delete and the efi-live on it. I guess I need to look to see if its still got all the parts that were taken off of it so I could put it back on if needed.

I really like the truck, but just worried about it turning into a headache down the line should I try to see or if they really start cracking down on these laws.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Dead On
posted Hide Post
Your only issue will be if you trade it to a car lot or dealer. An individual has no bearing unless they prefer to have all the garbage on it. Dude if you like the truck pull the trigger. If you think that in the future you'll trade it to a dealer or lot pass. its pretty much that simple

Posts: 73 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The 14 is a very nice truck.

So I’m guessing no diesel smog program in Texas??

Every two years here plus setting drive cycles after any changes can be an issue. By law here.. seller is responsible for the smog cert.

Check with Greg Lair GMC /Buick in Texas. He usually has great deals and helps racers.
https://www.greglair.com/

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4468 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Look at it this way, you know it’s not legal and by chance if you get checked towing to a race you could get parked plus a hefty fine and yet you don’t even have the stuff to put it back on. I would offer a lot less than what he’s asking if you really wanted the truck and could just tell him that’s the price for it not being up to par with emissions. If you really don’t want the emission stuff you should be looking for pre emission vehicle.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Looks like you will be fine.
Looks like Texas is like CT, any diesel truck is EXEMPT from emissions testing.
So, since it is exempt AND you like the truck GO FOR IT.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/...pectionCriteria.aspx

From the Texas DMV, Second sentence:

Which vehicles are required to have the emissions test?

Vehicles registered in designated counties. Designated counties include: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, Williamson and El Paso counties.

Gasoline powered vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection.

You just need to have the "Safety Inspection". No biggy.

If you like it, BUY IT.
Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pentastarrail,

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 954 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My friend drives a 1 ton pickup truck for the oilfield. Been doing it for a long time now, just runs from site to site doing mechanical stuff in the service truck. A while back they updated their fleet including the ton trucks (Ford's this time), and of course in order to reduce fuel and maintenance costs, they paid a shop to "delete" all 14 of them. Well my friend was rounding a curve not far from here and the highway police clocked him a little fast (43 in a 35), stopped him and noticed that the truck had a different tone. Looked under it, seen the straight pipe without the DPF and the rest went down as history. They were able to trace it back to the shop (receipts). Fined the shop a boat load of money, fined the company who my friend works for a ton of money, and wrote him a ticket for speeding. Yes I've had the EPA visit us at work too asking if anyone's contacted us about 'deleting' DPF's. Looks to me like they're cracking down. I've not done any, and won't do any. We are directed not to have anything to do with 'deleted' rigs which means if someone's got a trade-in, we've got no choice to turn it away if it's tampered with. I hate that because our wholesale buyers pay extremely well, much more than private party sales would get (wholesale has different markets in different states), but at the same time after having dealt with the feds in the past, I really don't want to have to deal with 'em again if I can help it.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the advice, if he got all the parts to put it back on, should I need to. I will jump on it. Those filters are not cheap!

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
The truck already has the delete and the efi-live on it.

Id stay away... the delete is one thing, but the EFI Live and the delete probably means its had the **** kicked out of it.

When I was in the market, It took me forever to find one that never had a "tuner" on it.

That's just me... and I am probably in the minority. But too many people abuse diesel trucks because they are nothing more than grocery getters and smoke rollers for lots of folks.

Mikey

Posts: 1706 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
That's the other piece of the puzzle I was thinking. I am not in a hurry, may just let this one go.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter