Find
Notify
Tools

Alcohol help
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of dragracer2757
posted Hide Post
thats simply too small of a pump ,and too small of line front to rear. you can leave the cell in the rear but need need a 450-500 gph pump and at least -10 line back to front . mount the regulator as close to carb as possible or use it for the return as said above. you can try a bigger carb but without enough volume you will only aggravate the problem(volume) even more.

Posts: 62 | Location: old hickory tn | Registered: December 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
cell in the front and belt drive pump with return style regulator is the only guaranteed fix for fuel supply. After that gotta start looking at the carburetor. Alcohol should never be slower, they will run RICH as all heck but blubber at higher RPM (+6000) and they will run lean as all heck and just be slow.

Posts: 375 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I use a rear tank, #10 to a Magna 500. #10 filter on pressure line, Aeromotive bypass regulator with #10 ports, I dead headed the carb side of the regulator at 23 psi. When pumps runs it holds 7.0 psi at the carb and a #10 return line. Been flawless since the first time it started.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Even with a fuel delivery problem he should have at least picked up something in 60'.
I've seen some real weak fuel systems still go until the 330'

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
Even with a fuel delivery problem he should have at least picked up something in 60'.
I've seen some real weak fuel systems still go until the 330'

That is a very good point but I think it may come back to the carb is too small to feed a motor that size. And that is assuming the fuel system can handle it which is already marginal.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Back when I ran an 4150 alky carb after I had George Rupert fix it.
It used .180 dia jets no pv and a single Mallory 250.
I ran a 1/4 mile @ Atco.
My pressure would start to drop at the 1/8mile approx.
This was a 10.0 car @ 132.

My suggestion is to check the booster passage id with a drill shank.
It should be bigger than your jet.
2nd check would be the main well in your metering block.

Posts: 691 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Alky rule 1: When in doubt richen first.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Tuning and fuel supply issues aside, I agree with those who said the carb is too small for a 555.
I took a moderately built 454 and did A/B/C testing with an 850, 950, and 1050/Dom (with an adapter), and the car picked up each time.
The OP has +100 CID over my test mule. (And probably bigger/better heads, cam, & intake).
Just sayin'... FWIW.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post