DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Power Glide Deep Pan
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power Glide Deep Pan
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
A farpac gasket came with my BTE pan. When I freshened my trans, I got a reseal/gasket kit and the gasket that was in it was in a felpro package, and happened to look EXACTLY like the farpac I had from before....

Neither have leaked, ever.....but I also didn't grease them before I installed them, I put them on dry...when the pan comes off they usually are stuck to the case or pan and it requires me prying the pan off to get them separated.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I purchased one of these tapered pans. Its a really nice piece. The only problem is if you have a different style valve body it doesn't work. I have the billet FTI valve body and the filter adapter doesn't work. Even if you remove the damper the filter still hits the front of the pan. Just and FYI check to see if your valve body is compatible with the pan.

Posts: 100 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Buy a TSR filter adapter with high flow brass filter. Mill the adapter at the correct angle, it's billet aluminum.

How I'd do it anyway.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S/C718:
The problem is if you have a different style valve body it doesn't work. I have the billet FTI valve body and the filter adapter doesn't work.

Waste of time and $ that provides no performance advantage, no service life advantage in your car but hey, it’s yours to waste.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If your data looks like this it'll fix it. If your pressure don't drop you're good.

This car only goes 1.10 - 1.15 60ft.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

The Hughes pan is of the same design as the Sonnax pan except it is cast aluminum instead of I wanted a pan with a baffle because I was seeing some cavitation in my trans pressure during the run. My choices for pans with a baffle were Sonnax or Hughes and at my HP level I felt the cast pan would add some strength to the case so I choose Hughes.

My trans pressure is extremely stable at both ends of the track now, not showing any cavitation.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This car leaves real pretty, wheely bar a few inches off the ground. It's probably when the tire grabs it accelerates real hard and the oil crawls up the back of the case behind the valve body, uncovering the pickup a hair for a split second. It might go a little better 1.10 so it's no rocket ship.

But you can see there's room for improvement in the graph. He ordered one. Runs a Hughes converter too, so it's a natural fit, he didn't hesitate once I made the suggestion. Made sense to him looking at the data.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
but hey, it’s yours to waste.

True, Then why do you judge the man. It's none of your business is it?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4440 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Not judging, stating my opinion based on experience and it becomes everyone’s “business” once you post on an internet forum.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I put my other deep pan back on the trans. I'm good to go now. ready for the fling.

Posts: 100 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Cmichael
posted Hide Post
S/C 718. TSR sells a baffle that you can weld in your pan you already have.

Wettstien Auto and Welding
Autometer

Posts: 155 | Location: Iola,KS | Registered: October 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
also not needed

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
also not needed

How would you know C-cup, you don't build transmissions?

Or engines.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Cmichael
posted Hide Post
Do you think the line pressure dropping causes the slight dip in the rpm around 1 second in to the run?

Wettstien Auto and Welding
Autometer

Posts: 155 | Location: Iola,KS | Registered: October 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cmichael:
Do you think the line pressure dropping causes the slight dip in the rpm around 1 second in to the run?

No sir, might be aerating the oil though. That'll take the life out of the unit. It could look like its got 1000 laps on it, and only actually has 150 or 50.

That's the converter grabbing the engine, you can improve that a little lowering the converter pressure possibly, depending its pressure.

This gragh is from a really nice state of the art Chevy II.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
This car leaves real pretty, wheely bar a few inches off the ground. It's probably when the tire grabs it accelerates real hard and the oil crawls up the back of the case behind the valve body, uncovering the pickup a hair for a split second. It might go a little better 1.10 so it's no rocket ship.

But you can see there's room for improvement in the graph. He ordered one. Runs a Hughes converter too, so it's a natural fit, he didn't hesitate once I made the suggestion. Made sense to him looking at the data.

Please post a run from data logger of after the pan change.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
quote:

K

How's your graph look 329L? Can you post a photo?

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

K

I do not have one from my personal stuff, and the racer i have access to doesnt want his shared. What i will say is, we fixed that issue by raising pump pressure, we just figured that the converter was being "refilled" when it lays on the converter and thats why you get the drop in pressure.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

K

I do not have one from my personal stuff, and the racer i have access to doesnt want his shared. What i will say is, we fixed that issue by raising pump pressure, we just figured that the converter was being "refilled" when it lays on the converter and thats why you get the drop in pressure.

The circle is a pressure drop at the servo cover, if you raised the line pressure, you tightened the converter by raising the converter pressure. You didn't affect a pressure drop at the servo by upping your converter pressure. The converter pressure is the aqua on this graph, converter pressure is nearly its highest in the middle of the pressure drop at the servo, so I'm not following your theory.

I'll ask the man if the pan worked to fix the pressure drop, and get a photo of the new graph evidencing results.