DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    12 bolt ring gear bolts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

12 bolt ring gear bolts
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of eric doukas
posted
Should I be using something better than grade 8 bolts for the ring gear.

Posts: 49 | Location: fallon nv | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Have you checked to see what arp offers?

Posts: 487 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
A grade 8 bolt of the correct length will give good service. It is important to make sure you have full thread engagement but be careful not to bottom out. I am going on fuzzy memory, I "think" 3/4" length leaves a thread or two unused and 1" is too long. With hardware store bolts it may require installing "AN" or other thin washers under the bolt head to be just right.

As posted above, if ARP has a specific bolt with a washer that might be best.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Seen plenty of grade 8 bolts these days that aren't the same as they used to be. I'd go with ARP or OEM replacements. At least that way you know they are the correct length as well.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I broke 3 grade 8s in 9" and figured it was a sign that ARP was the answer to here's your sign. The fact that mine are riding down track beneath family jewels did have some influence. LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
ARP 10/12 bolt kit

Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Also...

ARP bolts @ Jegs

Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of eric doukas
posted Hide Post
I ordered up some ARP's thanks guys.

Posts: 49 | Location: fallon nv | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post