DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster shift time
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster shift time
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted
Just wondering what time you shift at for the et you run. How long does your car sit in second gear? And at what rpm does that occur. What is too early? Obviously if it ran out of gear or fell on its face....If it sits in 2nd gear for awhile does heat become a factor in later rounds? Btw, carb works great!

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
4.40s to 4.80s between a few cars. Normally shift at 2.00 to 2.10 on faster cars an up to 2.30 on the slower cars
The rpm is normally around 7600 to 7800 at the shift. I have left in high gear in these same cars going 5.10 to 5.40 and heat doesn't seem to bother in too much.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I don't shift on time but I do leave in high and have found it pretty easy to manage the transmission temperature.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Torque converter plays a role in this. On our 4.70/7.40 dragsters we shift between 1.75 and 2.00 seconds depending on the converter in the car. That’s at about 74-7500 rpm.

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
Thats why i ask. Old setup was 1.85 out for 7000rpm, new motor same converter 1.25 equals 7000 but its pretty deadly.... kinda like a high gear car, if people ask im telling them thats why its so slow

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post