DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    o2 sensor placement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

o2 sensor placement
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted
I finally ponied up for a new set of headers. Only issue is there isn't a bung for my o2 sensors, so I ordered some to install. Only two. I'm going with merged collectors, and am wondering where to install the bungs. Is the best place right before the narrowest part or right after? Can't and not doing 8 bungs, I just use the o2's for averages.....

Thoughts?

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
best is in a primary. otherwise as far away from the end as possible.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
By reading your plugs, pick the cylinder on each side that is what I call, a pecky cylinder. It will be the one that looks like it has the most timing by the ground strap read and fuel is the leanest. If you use those two cylinders to tune by, all the others will be happy. Also install bung never down or level, should be at least 15 % up to keep it from collecting fuel.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron C.:
By reading your plugs, pick the cylinder on each side that is what I call, a pecky cylinder. It will be the one that looks like it has the most timing by the ground strap read and fuel is the leanest. If you use those two cylinders to tune by, all the others will be happy. Also install bung never down or level, should be at least 15 % up to keep it from collecting fuel.

Bungs are the angled ones, so no worries there. I'm limited to the collector for installation, they aren't coated yet...the headers themselves are....

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
3 and 6

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1397 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
if it were me, I would put them before the narrow part of the merge collector. My reasoning is reversion of fresh air would be less.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
quote:
Originally posted by Ron C.:

Bungs are the angled ones, so no worries there. I'm limited to the collector for installation, they aren't coated yet...the headers themselves are....

You can still install “angled ones” incorrectly.

Your BEST install is in the primary tube.

If not, as close to the merge as possible. Maybe next to the calendar listed above. If you get it too close to the end of the collector, you will get false readings.

Happy new year!

Posts: 395 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
If I could, I'd install 10 bungs total, get a race pack, and do 10 02's! But since I'm working with two, I'll do the best I can. As mentioned, I'm not installing them into any primaries...the headers are already coated. Collectors are not. I've managed to find a few pics of other headers of similar style with o2 bungs in them and they are located just before the narrow part of the collector. So that's where I'll locate mine. The other thing I'm going to do with this set is seal the primaries to the collectors. My current ones aren't, leak a bit at the joints, and do skew the o2 readings a bit. Not tuning off o2's, just using them to track trends....

Mark Goulette

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Rock Auto has the weld bungs for real cheap. Forget exactly what it was but I am thinking under $2 each. I would put one on each tube. I started with two O2's and learned they were a huge help. Ended up going to 8 of them. Especially with the mechanical injection it tells you if you get a clogged nozzle or anything is off.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3997 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Rock Auto has the weld bungs for real cheap. Forget exactly what it was but I am thinking under $2 each. I would put one on each tube. I started with two O2's and learned they were a huge help. Ended up going to 8 of them. Especially with the mechanical injection it tells you if you get a clogged nozzle or anything is off.

I'll get to that point eventually I think.....

Mark Goulette

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Why do you ask for others opinion when you already have your mind made up where you are going to place the sensors. There have been more then one reply stating to place the sensor in the primary tube for the best readings.

Posts: 100 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S/C718:
Why do you ask for others opinion when you already have your mind made up where you are going to place the sensors. There have been more then one reply stating to place the sensor in the primary tube for the best readings.

you do realize he asked for a opinion on one of two locations? doesn't seem like he had his mind made up, but it does seem that his question was ignored.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sr4440:
you do realize he asked for a opinion on one of two locations? doesn't seem like he had his mind made up, but it does seem that his question was ignored.

Joe

This is exactly right...I COULD do them in the primaries but I'm not gonna grind off the coating to weld them in and then have them recoated, especially when the collectors themselves are only painted at this point. Maybe at a later date I'll do additional bungs but for now it's limited to the collectors. I just wanted to know the best location in relation to the merge...

Mark Goulette

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
AlkyIROC posted a nice methanol tuning chart years ago.

https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...807026186#2807026186

Posts: 105 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: January 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 69427:
AlkyIROC posted a nice methanol tuning chart years ago.

https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...807026186#2807026186

I saw that before and printed out a copy....Good reference to use.

Mark Goulette

DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted Hide Post
The placement of the sensor in an open header will have a drastic impact on the readings...as well as your joints in the tubes that you mentioned. I really didn't think a whole lot about it until I switched over to efi. I originally attempted to run my sensor in the open collector, but that resulted in false readings from the sensor detecting the fresh air from the open collector outlet, which, in turn, resulted in raw fuel being dumped through the injectors because the system interpreted the scenario as being super lean. I had to add header extensions to compensate for this, and have had no issues since then. While this is not the same scenario you are describing, just be aware that the placement WILL make a difference!

Maxx Levell

If you're gonna be a bear...be a GRIZZLY!

Posts: 92 | Location: Henderson, KY | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maxx Levell:
The placement of the sensor in an open header will have a drastic impact on the readings...as well as your joints in the tubes that you mentioned. I really didn't think a whole lot about it until I switched over to efi. I originally attempted to run my sensor in the open collector, but that resulted in false readings from the sensor detecting the fresh air from the open collector outlet, which, in turn, resulted in raw fuel being dumped through the injectors because the system interpreted the scenario as being super lean. I had to add header extensions to compensate for this, and have had no issues since then. While this is not the same scenario you are describing, just be aware that the placement WILL make a difference!

On fuel injection where the sensor is controlling mixture I could see it making the mixture very rich especially at idle. What about at WOT? What is the effect of being near the outlet? I would think there wouldn't be much if any reversion at WOT to pull fresh air back into the collector. So if not FI I would think it would give you a true reading at WOT.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I was able to find a couple of pics showing it installed close to the primaries, just before the merge, so that's where I went with. Was supposed to get both yesterday but found out one had to be made first....hope it gets here before the race on Saturday or I'm putting my old headers back on.

When I put the collectors on, I put a small bead of high temp silicone around the tubes to seal them in the collector. It helps. I'm not tuning off the sensors, just looking to see if my averages are within range...and to track trends....basically gives me direction on tune to a point. Even with a little bit of air leakage at the joints, if I'm lean they will show lean....If I'm rich they will show rich...I watch the plugs much more carefully for actual tuning and cylinder to cylinder stuff....but they do help.

Mark Goulette