Larry Woodfin
With extra red pepper

Larry Woodfin

April 29, 2022, 04:22 PM
Mike Rietow
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
With extra red pepper

It came in a all aluminum 10.2 BBC, out of a Ray Miller dragster with the balancer seemingly welded to the crankshaft and a broken in two cast oil pump.

I wish this guy had stayed with me on his engine building, this has been a nightmaire so far.

He was telling me he had one last 9 years in a Ray Miller car, when it dawned on him mid sentence I did the engine he was speaking of.

This thing is gonna be a souped up Ripper when I'm done with it.

I have no clue for certain what the specs are on this camshaft, I suspect it's 873 800 281 296 113.

Crank might just need polished believe it or not, I'll ride by Steve's Crankshaft with it Monday. Steve does killer crankshaft work.

We'll get her fix'd up.

April 29, 2022, 04:36 PM
Mike Rietow
Little heat on the backside of the balancer and it came right off.

April 29, 2022, 10:53 PM
Footloose
ATI balancer? There tight. That cam might like a little nitrous Eek
April 30, 2022, 12:11 AM
Mike Rietow
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
ATI balancer? There tight. That cam might like a little nitrous Eek

Looks alright, I like it.

The intake on this thing is really shabby, like it was matched for another engine at one point. Gonna weld that up to add material to straighten it out, and have the local porter port the entire intake.

April 30, 2022, 02:32 PM
Mike Rietow
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
ATI balancer? There tight.

TCI RATTLER

You won't be able to remove this without cutting the Jesel belt drive cover into pieces, if you don't have a gantry crane.

If ya ever get a balancer that won't come off, this is how ya do it, to not destroy anything.
April 30, 2022, 09:45 PM
SLICKSTER
Super cool on getting the balancer off.
April 30, 2022, 11:34 PM
Mike Rietow
quote:
Originally posted by SLICKSTER:
Super cool on getting the balancer off.

Thank you.

Ridiculous until about 5am when the Jesel cover slid a 1/16" inch above the pan rail, I knew I had it whooped.

We're gonna do work on this intake and move the cam around on the dyno, to see if we can come up with something positive, after all this.

Looks like crankshaft might get by with just polishing... Maybe. It was driven back to the trailer with no oil pressure, after the cast pump broke in two..
May 06, 2022, 08:38 PM
Mike Rietow
Standard / Standard

June 05, 2022, 10:58 AM
Mike Rietow
Welded on the intake ports to get the ports straightened out, the head was in the port .200 or so.

Dropped the intake with the local porter Walt, he likes a 2" spacer he's gonna port to the intake.

The owner is game to do some hot rodding this go around, this oughta be fun.

I'll have this thing on the dyno in a few weeks, gonna tweak the trans and third member as well. Rock n roll with some conventional Big Brodie BBC heads, 100 lb drivers. Smile

June 05, 2022, 04:45 PM
Top355x
Give the balancer to the machine shop and have them open it up some I’ve had to have it done to my anti and my fluid damper
June 05, 2022, 05:41 PM
SCDIV1
Hone the balancer so it has about .001" press fit to the crank snout

Easy to do on a rod hone with the right mandrel
June 05, 2022, 06:08 PM
Mike Rietow
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
Give the balancer to the machine shop and have them open it up some I’ve had to have it done to my anti and my fluid damper

We had Rattler balancer red hot in attempts with several balancer pullers to remove it, so it needed sent back to TCI for a freshen.

I suggested this one and the owner of engine brought it over yesterday.

I typically always hone fit them depending how they feel going on. I do like the balancer one with the crank (tight).

June 05, 2022, 06:10 PM
Mike Rietow
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Hone the balancer so it has about .001" press fit to the crank snout

Easy to do on a rod hone with the right mandrel

Yes Sir...
June 06, 2022, 01:13 PM
NC3x58
What is the engine specs on this? I would assume a 598+ cubic inch, induction info? If it was a previously run engine, what'd it go before and any major changes minus intake porting?

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3
June 07, 2022, 09:39 AM
Mike Rietow
quote:
Originally posted by NC3x58:
What is the engine specs on this? I would assume a 598+ cubic inch, induction info? If it was a previously run engine, what'd it go before and any major changes minus intake porting?

The conventional Big Brodie 355 gives it away it's smaller than 598 +.

It's a 565, kinda unusual it's talldeck but I like these personally. I did a 548 talldeck for him 10-11 years ago went 4.70's in a 4 link Ray Miller with Dart 360's.

I think this one went 4.60's - 4 link - aluminum block - 100 lb drivers. Like I said though the intake was real shabby, so I think picking up a little power is gonna be fairly simple. The head was in the port on 4 of the 8. How much power will it pick up? We'll find out.

The piston skirts & cylinders were in real shabby condition as well. Those will be pristine when done as well, and I'll oversee the mixture this time.

I don't know what the intake is, didn't care to look because it ran half decent et's for how shabby everything looked, told me it would work. Reher Morrison CNC ported Edelbrock something, all I know.

4500 methanol Carb brand I didn't pay attention because it wasn't a Bo Laws, which it'll have if I have any sway..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,
June 07, 2022, 10:03 AM
SCDIV1
My home built 565 went a best of low 4.70's at Etown.....1950+ lbs

Etown is fast in decent air but it ran better than 7.50 in June

Nothing trick at all, small heads, R-M shelf cam

Went 7.45 just under 180 with a Ron's Terminator shifting it very short to try and stay above 7.50...No ADV.ET license

Went 7.47 at 178+ with a gas 1050 out of the box QF carb. Best carb I ever owned !

7.57 at Numidia in thick air up on the hill.....at night

I made it a 584 and it was slower.....

The vast majority of my runs were in S/C and I ran 8.90 at 175-176 at best as a 565

Had a new custom cam done that I picked the lobes and ported the heads some and never got to try it.....sold everything I own

Really was hoping to run it and see how that bumpstick would do.....

CC has a nice master list to pick some lobes from and I used an exhaust lobe many used with good result

A 565 is a very good engine combo and easy to make good power. I've had friends say the same thing

Of course pro engine shops have some combos of cam and heads and intakes/carbs that will make big power...trial and error and dyno and track time !
June 07, 2022, 10:19 AM
Mike Rietow
I admire the previous builders pick of this cam, I like it.

I like the cam a lot actually. I was thrilled when I saw specs because it avoided an awkward moment with the owner, had I had to tell him no dice on the camshaft.

I think it'll be perfect for the combination of parts we have in play.

June 07, 2022, 12:04 PM
SCDIV1
Not bad ....

I had 1.75 Jesel's and could run a bit more lift with a moderate spring.... .850" actual max lift....

The R-M # 420-116 is fairly close to that one and was excellent

I still have one in very good condition....For Sale.....$300 shipped....They get $500 now for one...