Find
Notify
Tools

Rear Wheel ?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Rear Wheel ?

I presently have Bogart Ultra Lights on my car. With 32x14 Hoosiers they weigh 43 lbs.

I’d like new rims with DBL and briefly looked at Weld. They list them as DBL or DBL for MT tires. I don’t understand this. What’s the difference?

If I purchase the ones for MT tires, does this mean I cannot run Hoosiers? And if I purchase the regular DBL does this mean MT won’t work on them?

Can anyone recommend other 15 x 14 – 4” offset rear DBL wheels that are light that I should be looking at.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I am gonna guess that the head of the tire is different between brands. I found out when I bought my wheels and mounted a set of Hoosier radials on them just for moving car around and they wouldn’t stop leaking past the head ring. I bought the regular Hoosier tires I was gonna run and they sealed right up. I then asked a Hoosier guy at track with truck selling them and he measured and said racial tire bead was thinner.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
mark
race star looks like they make some nice double beadlocks

the hoosier and mickey have a slight bead design difference hence the mt dbl bead only

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
If you really like your Bogart's, give Frank and Scott a call at Neil & Parks Racing Enterprises.

They do an amazing job, have quick service, and very competitive pricing!

They did a set for us last month and we were really impressed!

https://neilparks.com/
785-422-8722

Posts: 415 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Gerard:
If you really like your Bogart's, give Frank and Scott a call at Neil & Parks Racing Enterprises.

785-422-8722

I’m seriously looking at this from N+P. Wish I had another set of wheels to run on the car in the interm.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Your best bet is to call Weld... But if I recall correctly The MT DBL beadlocks are designated for radial tires as previously mentioned they have a thinner bead. But I believe you can still run any slick with either or.

Posts: 3 | Location: Grand Junction, CO | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Call Chris at Lindsay Racing Products!

Posts: 3 | Location: central ohio | Registered: June 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I've ran Hoosier and MT's on my Weld beadlocks with no problems. I have heard MT has a thicker bead, but I went from Hoosier 18650's to MT 3183's and no issues with the lock rings.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Sanders Wheels. Very happy with these and the wheels are a little lighter.

http://www.sanderengineering.com/dragwheels.html

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4505 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by David Gerard:

785-422-8722

I’m seriously looking at this from N+P. Wish I had another set of wheels to run on the car in the interm.

Noway you can go wrong with those guys. They do not do it unless they do it very well.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
after seeing welds and spinwerks break I will never go with a wheel that's halfed or has the interchangeable centers...too many weak links. I like the solid forged stuff like the mt pro 5 or the race star stuff

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
after seeing welds and spinwerks break I will never go with a wheel that's halfed or has the interchangeable centers...too many weak links. I like the solid forged stuff like the mt pro 5 or the race star stuff

I love my MT Pro 5 front and rear wheels on my dragster.. Too bad they quit making them.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Called N+P and they said they could turn them around in 1 week or less. Seen these on a car 2 weeks ago and looked great.

Plan now is to have my Bogarts off the car July 8, sent out (2 day trip) and back running by July 19 which will save me from missing any racing which is what I wanted to avoid.

Thanks for the suggestions.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Sent these Bogarts out to Neil +Parks last Monday morning for a 2 day trip to their shop. They put the bead locks on the same day (Wednesday) they received them and shipped the following day getting them back tonight one week later. Wow!

These are 15” x 14 wide with 4” offset and clear the MW brake calipers by just over 1/16”. Beautiful welding installation. This was a wise upgrade choice and happy I used Neil + Parks. Thanks for the suggestions.

I purchased new MT tires and have not used this brand since 2012 because they leak. In 2017 the MT catalog said that these tires are “Newly Improved for Better Air Retention”.

Here’s my question. Do I put these new 32x14 2019 MT on as is, OR do I need to soap the inside?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Soap them. I’ve noticed no improvement in air retention.

Posts: 715 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Soap is cheap insurance. I soap every race tire I ever mount front and rears and never have an issue although I do run Hoosiers. Years ago I saw my Hoosiers peaking out the sidewalks and have soaped ever since.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
Soap is cheap insurance. I soap every race tire I ever mount front and rears and never have an issue although I do run Hoosiers. Years ago I saw my Hoosiers peaking out the sidewalks and have soaped ever since.

All my Hoosiers went on dry with rim screws and never leaked.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i have seen the rims spin and the tire smoke at the bead because the ring would not clamp a mickey tire,there is a difference on some rims

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have dish liquid and am going to soap the MT tire interiors like suggested but not the bead.

I measured the gap between the rings with no tire and it is 0.410”. The rings are 0.155” thick and the outer measurement over the rings is 0.720”. N+P calls for a torque of 125 in lb on the bolts in a circular pattern and to use anti-sieze on them.

These MT beads measure 0.700” at the thickest point.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
I have dish liquid and am going to soap the MT tire interiors like suggested but not the bead.

I measured the gap between the rings with no tire and it is 0.410”. The rings are 0.155” thick and the outer measurement over the rings is 0.720”. N+P calls for a torque of 125 in lb on the bolts in a circular pattern and to use anti-sieze on them.

These MT beads measure 0.700” at the thickest point.

According to the direction, you need to trim the bead? I have no experience with beadlocks and no clue what this means.

quote:
"You will need to take a razor knife and trim the flashing off the inner side of the bead. This excess rubber has nowhere to go with our, or anybody else's beadlock assembly."

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post