DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Getting real nervous about my RV fridge
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting real nervous about my RV fridge
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
My norcold RV fridge was luke cool a few years back but the freezer worked amazing.My local dealer replaced the fridge under warranty and i can only assume if there was any recalls they would have completed them at the same time.

Well this past season i had the same problem.The fridge part is in my opinion warm but the freezer works amazing.I also noticed the fridge felt real warm around the frame.It then stopped working all together

I just got it back from the rv dealer whose service sux on a good day.They claimed they just had to do a hard reset and its fine.

Im going to call norcold tommorow but after seeing all these fridge fires im getting nervous mine is the next one to go.

I understand there is the fridge defender which im going to look into and also you could replace it with a houshold fridge/ but that sound like a project?

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Put a small circulating fan inside the fridge and a larger one in the vent stack outside the fridge.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Put a small circulating fan inside the fridge and a larger one in the vent stack outside the fridge.

Roger i had brain storm...ive got a big cooler/freezer in the basement that came with the rv that works great and i just bought a 42qt portable freezer/fridge on amazon.Between the two i will have plenty of freezer and fridge capacity.
Im going to retire the fire hazard norcold and just use if for storage.
This way also if one of the two cooler/fridges breakdown i will have a back up and wont lose all my food.
Problem solved!!

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're past this point but the little camco battery fan is a must in an absorption cycle fridge. Don't put things all the way across one particular shelf impeding air flow. Don't put vegetables near the fins (likely freeze and ruin them). Best of luck with the new!

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Go to Lowes and find a fridge that almost fits, buy the fridge and a sawzall in the tool dept, problem solved Big Grin

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Go to Lowes and find a fridge that almost fits, buy the fridge and a sawzall in the tool dept, problem solved Big Grin

This ^^^ The norcold in our motor home did the exact same thing yours is doing. Freezer still freezing but fridge would not get cold. after wasting several hundred to " fix" it, we went residential. problem solved .

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:

You'd be amazed what the addition of those 2 fans would do.

Pines RV makes a far superior cooling unit to that of the original. Not that difficult to swap out if you don't mind doing the work.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have owned several motor homes with the Norcold refrigerator/freezer. 90% of the time when what you describe happens it can be corrected by re programing the unit. On the larger ones there are 2 fans in the chimney controlled by a thermostat about the size of a dime. Fans can fail but if not working it is usually the thermostat. Also you didn't mention if you were using electric or propane. Propane works best. Those extra fans suggested above will also help as will keeping the unit some what level. Hope this helps.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I took out my crappy RV fridge and put in a residential unit running off an inverter. WAY better. Temp is much more consistent, fridge is like 80% cheaper when I have to replace it. No more propane unless I have to run the furnace.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
How are you guys getting the residential fridges into the coach? Do they fit in the door?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
i put a 2 small flat 12 volt fans on the top and bottom vents for fridge on outside of trailer plus i use two battery powered fans in the bottom of the fridge and make sure nothing blocks off the air flow on the shelves and the fridge cools great. as far as getting a residential one in place take out the windows and slide it in lol ...

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
trade that old junk in and get something from this century.
Any decent RV now uses a residential fridge.

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 82 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:
i put a 2 small flat 12 volt fans on the top and bottom vents for fridge on outside of trailer plus i use two battery powered fans in the bottom of the fridge and make sure nothing blocks off the air flow on the shelves and the fridge cools great. as far as getting a residential one in place take out the windows and slide it in lol ...

Sounds fun.
Anyone do one in an rv with the furnace located under it?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
My Norcold in my trailer has the Furnace under it. I never use it because it wastes too much propane. On top of that it's annoyingly loud off and on. My Norcold has been really good to me. In 2019 I replaced the gas valve on it. After that it's been flawless. My trailer is setup more RV style as it's mostly 12V.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
For $20, this is a must have for monitoring any refrigerator/freezer. The high low memory is very helpful when accessing performance. Helped me find an intermittent defrost timer on my house Unit, but in the RV tells me how it’s doing wo opening the door.
Yes, definitely get a battery powered fan for the RV refrigerator. IMHO not having a fan is a design defect.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wirel...id=711-127632-2357-0

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12172 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I had a honda 2k inverter I used for night time for the motorhome and for battery charging during racing etc. My daughters father in law gave her a 2k smarter inverter which she had no use for so she gave it to me. I decided to parallel the two together, (yes you can parallel two unlike brands) and run the coach and trailer off of them on 4K. Then when my RV fridge went south instead of paying 2,000 for a new one, I bought a 250 dollar 4 foot residential fridge seeing as how I would be on power day and night. Has worked fine for a long time now. Also, I hate stopping for propane for the coach, so i plumbed in a pigtail to the main tank to hook a bbq tank to for the furnace and water heater.

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post