DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    71 nova coil shock and spring help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

71 nova coil shock and spring help
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted
I have a 71 Nova with competition engineering shocks with coil springs over them. It's a ladder bar car the length of the shock is 16 in Long and 10.41 collapsed. Any suggestions on what length of shock and spring rate I should use. I was looking at the qa1 u.s. 502 shocks and I have a 150 spring rate already.

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
qa1s are junk same as your current shock

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Give me a call or text. 484-529-3501. I may have something for you. Just need to know what ride height # you are looking for to better assist you. As stated above the QA1 isn't really an upgrade over what you have.

Posts: 21 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Spend a bit more and get a better shock like Afco. It will pay off in the end. Shocks are not where i look to save a dime.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
150# spring seems excessive, but then again I'm only recalling what was on my 72 Nova.

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I switched out my QA1's (double adjustable front, single rear) on my Nova for Afco's. I picked up .04 in the 60ft. I dont recall what spring is on my Nova but planned on scaling and aligning it this weekend so I will check the spring rate.

Afco's cost more but way worth it in the long run. You need a shock that will repeat, over and over again. I would figure out a way to put an Afco 6855 single adjustable on it. Even if it means changing the upper or lower shock mount to do it. 17.2" extended, 12.2" compressed with a 13.75-14.75" ride height

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 738 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Question for those that have actually disassembled and or rebuilt both brands, QA-1 and Afco and you can throw Strange in there too if you KNOW. What exactly is the difference of the internals that makes one better or worse than the others?

To the OP 150 sound like too high of a spring rate for that car.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
130 lb spring. I've considered trying 120.

You might benefit from a good double adjustable coilover. Afco seems to be a good shock. I'm running Afco sold through and re-valved by Menscer. They are the Menscer brand shock. They're probably overkill but you only live once. I really like them. I originally had Aldan. They worked OK at my power level. I've never tried any others so really no basis to compare.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1390 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have Afco 3850's with 125 lb. Springs on my 69 camaro. They were a huge improvement over what I had.

Posts: 22 | Location: trenton ohio | Registered: July 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
afcos are hard to beat for the money

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Your best bet is to call John Calvert Monday. He will tell you what you need. He has forgotten more than most here know.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post