New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fuel pumps
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Got into a discussion last night belt driven or electric fuel pump on gas dragster ? pro's and con's.

Posts: 35 | Location: texas | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Both work well as long as they are good ones and set up right. I highly recommend a return style regulator no matter what you go with.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3977 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My two cents. I like my belt drive pump, was on alky, now on gas. However, after you change jets or if the car sits a long time then you have to crank a while to fill the bowls.

I solved that problem by using the Facet pump that was on my Primer Plus set up when I was on alky and tied it into the fuel regulator.

Now I just turn it on till the bowls are full.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You left out block mounted fuel pump, my preference

Posts: 476 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Good topic......I've always used a magnafuel 500 electric pump, pumping Q16, this winter I've made the switch to a belt driven pump. Thinking it should be a large savings of battery voltage.....we'll have to see the outcome.....Howie

Posts: 72 | Location: SYRACUSE,NEW YORK | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
After running internal bypass belt pumps it's would be hard to go back to electric pumps. I got a science lab bottle from Grainger to fill the bowls I just take out a top bowl screw and fill it up.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 462 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ActionRacingPhotos:
After running internal bypass belt pumps it's would be hard to go back to electric pumps. I got a science lab bottle from Grainger to fill the bowls I just take out a top bowl screw and fill it up.

You know you could fill it through the vent tube and not have to take any screws out.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
quote:
Originally posted by ActionRacingPhotos:

You know you could fill it through the vent tube and not have to take any screws out.

I do Just my preference and it only takes a few seconds longer

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 462 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have a flat scoop tray. It would be a pain to fill the bowls and my vent tubes are tied together so that’s a no go also. The little Facet pump works great.

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Definitely a return system, always wonder about belt drive pumps and there fuel inlet not being as low as the outlet of the fuel cell.

Posts: 35 | Location: texas | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bracketsonly:
Definitely a return system, always wonder about belt drive pumps and there fuel inlet not being as low as the outlet of the fuel cell.

Plenty of gravity feed especially on a dragster with a cell in front of the motor. We even have two mid 9 second door cars with rear cells and belt pumps.

Denis LeBlanc

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My belt pump is mounted on the crank trigger bracket and is lower than my fuel tank. The tank is behind the seat and it is a return system.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
So it really not rocket science. Both work fine and both have pro's and con's. Pick your poison.

I have used both and when running NOS, why have two, electric is the only way to go.

Never used a bypass regulator either, why? Pump has a bypass and no need for that extra plumbing.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HSMITH1039:
Good topic......I've always used a magnafuel 500 electric pump, pumping Q16, this winter I've made the switch to a belt driven pump. Thinking it should be a large savings of battery voltage.....we'll have to see the outcome.....Howie

Howie

Q is for cheaters!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
electric is the only way to go.

Never used a bypass regulator either, why? Pump has a bypass and no need for that extra plumbing.

EXACTLY and same here.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hey Al......Q is for guys that don't get to race in Epping air on a regular basis.......call it a equalizer......lol

Posts: 72 | Location: SYRACUSE,NEW YORK | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Al......Q is for guys that don't get to race in Epping air on a regular basis.......call it a equalizer......lol

Come on now, yuse guys in NY have the same air too!!! Cool I see Harry has corrupted you and brought you over to the dark side! Two Thumbs down

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
No chance.......Sea level racer......lol....back to the topic.....

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Swap the belt drive pump and put an alternator where the pump was would work also.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
No chance.......Sea level racer......lol....back to the topic.....

OK,, You must race with Ed then...

Uncontrollable Laugh