DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Mickey Thompson slicks MAJOR ISSUE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mickey Thompson slicks MAJOR ISSUE
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted
So, I bought a new pair of Mickey 3196's for my dragster. Didn't soap them inside and mounted them up. Now I have a MAJOR issue, hopefully someone can help me here with this....

THEY ARE STILL HOLDING AIR! I checked them several times, and the air pressure I inflated them too is the same! What's wrong with them? Why aren't they leaking??? What did I do wrong???????

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
You need to stick an ice pic into each sidewall to release excess pressure Big Grin .

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
You need to stick an ice pic into each sidewall to release excess pressure Big Grin .

I knew I was missing something!

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
I'm on the fence w/ changing over to Hoosiers myself because I'm tired of flat tires after 4 days, I even siliconed the screws....

Posts: 255 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Fake news?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Dont get too excited, I have one set of 3196 that dont leak, I have a new set that does.

I will air tires up long before I have to start replacement of Zeus's/hardware, collector bolts, and rewelding headers again...

Big Grin

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richie:
I'm on the fence w/ changing over to Hoosiers myself because I'm tired of flat tires after 4 days, I even siliconed the screws....

Mine ALWAYS leaked when I ran rim screws. The last set leaked because the guy that installed them on my old wheels (before I got the deadlocks) used screws to pull them onto the bead. I sealed them up with tire adhesive and it helped, but one still leaked down pretty quick. I can't blame the tire for that. The other one would hold air for several weeks.

Mark Goulette

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Mark,

It is the valve stem sealing situation. Lightly seat the valve core then back off 1/4 turn. This will allow the expected leakage rate.

NOTE: it is important, do not install the valve stem cap.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1833 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
also, you can fine-tune the leakage rate by turning the valve core 1/8 turn each way.

NOTE: only make small changes

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1833 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Should I put duct tape over the ice pick hole or is that best left open as a safety valve?

Mark Goulette

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
Dont get too excited, I have one set of 3196 that dont leak, I have a new set that does.

I will air tires up long before I have to start replacement of Zeus's/hardware, collector bolts, and rewelding headers again...

Big Grin

x2!!!

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
So, I bought a new pair of Mickey 3196's for my dragster. Didn't soap them inside and mounted them up.

OMG..... this is happening way to much, someone needs to report this to M/T so they can do the fix....mine lose about a 1/4 pound every 2 weeks so I'm good....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
There is something missing on this M/T thread. What could it be?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Ummm, hate?

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Nothing is missing here. Nothing to see move along.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post