DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Piston to valve clearance.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piston to valve clearance.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted
What you guys like to see for piston/valve clearance on your BBC? Checking the 582 build today getting .060 intake /.100 exhaust with a .041 head gasket and lash at zero. HMMMM

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Depends on a few different things but the clearances you have @ zero lash should work in a basic hot rod engine.
If you're checking it cold with aluminum heads you'll have even more at operating temps.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4465 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of Scott Smith
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be afraid of .050 on the intake with the lash.
And .080 on the exhaust.

Intake valve chases the piston. It takes a train wreck for it to hit and by that time clearance doesn't matter.

Excessive valve clearance is waisted CCs that could be added compression with less dome. Less dome happier combustion.

Posts: 7021 | Location: Montgomery Al. USA | Registered: October 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
You are good to go!

Abbott Racing Heads
(432) 558-2841

Posts: 39 | Location: Crane, Texas | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
It depends on how accurate your checking method is.In general that is very safe under normal conditions. I've run as close as .010 on intakes but exhaust I like more cushion.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Plenty good especially with steel rods I have run tighter with aluminum rods and never issue and turn them 9500 rpm.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4189 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted Hide Post
As close as possible. Otherwise your leaving HP on the table JMO

Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
Ok im lost . Added the lash to the valves and my measurement doesnt change?

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Obviously that isn't possible so start over and double check your procedure and measurements as you go.
I didn't read this entire post , but did you mention how you're measuring things?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4465 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
Using dial indicator and checker springs, measuring at 10 degrees after for tightest measurement on intake, 10 before for exhaust. Exhaust is fine , intake too tight now? Wtf?

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The 10 before and 10 after is usually pretty fail safe. But maybe try one intake @ 5 and 15 just to confirm 10 IS your closest point. Same on an exhaust.
Make sure your indicator stand isn't flexing/moving as well as your pointer or degree wheel.
If you had to use different retainers with the checker springs make sure the rocker arm isn't hitting the outside of the retainer somewhere and screwing with your measuring.
I always check with zero lash and just keep that in the back of my mind when considering if I have enough clearance. An aluminum head max effort engine doesn't really need more then the valve lash for clearance on the intake when cold.
We used to say we gave up compression if carbon built up in the intake pocket of the piston.
Of course it's kinda easy to get 15-16 to 1 compression with modern heads these days.
One thing to remember though is you have to check every cylinder when running it that close. Even number rockers arms so they stay with their cylinder.
BTW, using checker springs will actually gain you about .005-.015 more clearance once you put on the race springs.
I like to check a cylinder and then check it again to make sure it repeats. Same thing when degreeing a cam.
Good luck...hope you get it telling you the same thing over and over so you can trust what it's telling you...

Dave

F J B

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
I think the best way to check clearance is to not use checker springs because they are so inaccurate, at least they are when I used them.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the best way to check clearance is to not use checker springs because they are so inaccurate, at least they are when I used them.

checking springs will not seat the valve properly and very likely not the same each time

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
quote:

checking springs will not seat the valve properly and very likely not the same each time

The springs I had were light enough to make it really hard to set lash without opening the valve so I think you're right about them not seating the valve consistently.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR All Star
Picture of Scott Smith
posted Hide Post
If your going to use checker springs you have to physically "pull up" on the retainer while zeroing the dial indicator.
And I check clearance through the range to make sure I have the closest spot.

Posts: 7021 | Location: Montgomery Al. USA | Registered: October 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post