DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Brake caliper mounting position
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brake caliper mounting position
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted
On a single rear brake system on a dragster, are your calipers mounted at the back or front of the rotors. Leading edge or trailing edge

I have dual brakes and can make either set the primary or foot brake operated system...

On most road cars the calipers are mounted at the trailing edge of the rotor....

I am not sure if it really matters..

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Mine are on the front, leading edge of the rotor

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The lamb calipers on my car are mounted on the leading edge of the rotor. The MW calipers on my wife’s car are mounted on the trailng edge.

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
I don't think it matters since the purpose of the dual system is to have a 2nd set if the first doesn't work. If it mattered i would think the two systems would be stacked one over the other to be as close to the same spot as they could. Since they are 180 degs apart i don't think it matters.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
On mine the original brakes were on rear and when I added the second system the other calipers were on front.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Steve from Pa
posted Hide Post
I believe you will find most calipers are on the back side. At least that is what I found when I looked where to mount calipers on our rear end. Most all larger trucks are that way also.

Most important, keep the shiny side up

Posts: 798 | Location: Punxsutawney, Pa USA | Registered: February 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It makes no difference for stopping power. If you mount them on the front side (leading), small gravel can sit on top of the pad and gouge the rotor. Moving the calipers to the rear, you won't have that problem. That is, assuming that the majority of your braking is applied during forward motion. Gouging is a much bigger issue with aluminum rotors, which are not common in our form of racing, but I'd think you'd like to minimize that opportunity with steel rotors, too.

Ben Rawe 383H
1965 Chevy II Nova

Posts: 226 | Location: Alexandria, KY | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I had MW brakes on my Nova and the rears could go either way, when I called to inquire the guy said and I quote ...... The caliper don't give a shyt which side it's on lol

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Steve from Pa
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you mount them on the front side (leading), small gravel can sit on top of the pad and gouge the rotor.

That makes sense right there

Most important, keep the shiny side up

Posts: 798 | Location: Punxsutawney, Pa USA | Registered: February 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
I had MW brakes on my Nova and the rears could go either way, when I called to inquire the guy said and I quote ...... The caliper don't give a shyt which side it's on lol

I have a fabricated 9" waiting to go in my Nova. One side has the caliper on the leading edge, and the other has the caliper trailing.

The rear was originally built for a first-gen Camaro, and the guy at Moser knew that because of the caliper orientation. I can't recall the reason for it though.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
The rear was originally built for a first-gen Camaro, and the guy at Moser knew that because of the caliper orientation. I can't recall the reason for it though

Staggered rear shocks on 68/69's Wink

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post