DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Fastest on 15” wheel/tire?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fastest on 15” wheel/tire?
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
What’s the fastest you dragster guys have been going on a 15” combo? Which tire?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I went low 6.60s on the Goodyear 2534. That was before I really understood how to get a fast dragster to launch. It would either go 1.02 or shake my teeth out. I accidentally went low .9x one night and couldnt figure out how I had done it until a couple years later after I switched to a beadlocked 16.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
I went low 6.60s on the Goodyear 2534. That was before I really understood how to get a fast dragster to launch. It would either go 1.02 or shake my teeth out. I accidentally went low .9x one night and couldnt figure out how I had done it until a couple years later after I switched to a beadlocked 16.

I’m using a m/t 3080
1.03 is my magic shake cutoff
What was the secret?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Nobody?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Comp guys are flying with 15" wheels /Hoosier and GY.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4461 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

I’m using a m/t 3080
What was the secret?

1. Axle height (especially from 0.1 - 0.3 seconds)
2. Wheel speed. More at the hit. Less at 0.2. More at 0.5

You have to get #1 right first. #2 holds true for almost every dragster I ever watched that wasn’t already going sub 1.0.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I’m using a m/t 3080
What was the secret?

You have to get #1 right first. #2 holds true for almost every dragster I ever watched that wasn’t already going sub 1.0.

#1 how you you measure and what are you looking for?
#2 what’s the strategy for more wheel speed at the hit?

I have two potential shake zones: very early and 100’ out

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I’m using a m/t 3080
What was the secret?

#1 how you you measure and what are you looking for?
#2 what’s the strategy for more wheel speed at the hit?

I have two potential shake zones: very early and 100’ out

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Anyone compare the mt 3080 to other 15” offerings? Any of the 15” offerings more shake resistant than others?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
What’s the fastest you dragster guys have been going on a 15” combo? Which tire?

Nobody, because there is no good reason to try it with so many better options available.

Posts: 122 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonesz:
quote:

Nobody, because there is no good reason to try it with so many better options available.

To make it fair you can have the big breaker bar, I'll take the small one mentality.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Please explain, I have never had any issues at all with my combination at speeds I run. Now I am planning on stepping up again so please explain why I should go to 16 inch wheels?

I am not opposed to changing if there is a good reason why.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3961 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
quote:

Please explain, I have never had any issues at all with my combination at speeds I run. Now I am planning on stepping up again so please explain why I should go to 16 inch wheels?

I am not opposed to changing if there is a good reason why.

Trying to run any faster than 4.80/7.50 on a 15" tire CONSISTENTLY is crazy to me. I'm not saying it cant be done, but why? Push that down to 4.30/6.70, and it aint going to happen, CONSISTENLY.

Fast combinations cost alot of money, so I see no reason to cheap out on one of the most important pieces of the puzzle.

Posts: 122 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Mine is pretty consistent on the 3080 until 7-teens. When I try to push the 60 under 1.03, the tire gets unhappy. I may just not mess with the 60 and make it up downtrack.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mine is pretty consistent on the 3080 until 7-teens. When I try to push the 60 under 1.03, the tire gets unhappy. I may just not mess with the 60 and make it up downtrack.

You do know that you can't post any times or et's until they've been approved by Ed. Right? I'm kind of surprised that his gavel hasn't dropped on running the wrong tire/wheel combo.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Look at Competition Eliminator cars

Like A/ED or B/ED

I don't know about these days but in the past my friend ran A/ED on some pretty narrow tires and went very fast..

Recent A/ED car went 215 MPH but I don't have a clue on what tire.....

They use whatever is gonna slow them down the least !

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
quote:

You do know that you can't post any times or et's until they've been approved by Ed. Right? I'm kind of surprised that his gavel hasn't dropped on running the wrong tire/wheel combo.

Lol it’s contagious too
One of my favorite things about drag racing and racers is that someone has probably figured it out. Whatever it is
Now people just want whatever is easiest and to write a check for whatever it costs.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Look at Competition Eliminator cars

Like A/ED or B/ED

I don't know about these days but in the past my friend ran A/ED on some pretty narrow tires and went very fast..

Recent A/ED car went 215 MPH but I don't have a clue on what tire.....

They use whatever is gonna slow them down the least !

They do for sure

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo