DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    2005 2500HD Silverado PO128 code
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2005 2500HD Silverado PO128 code
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
I got the "Low coolant temp" code on my racer tow vehicle. Is there a way to test the sensor? Is it most likely a stuck open thermostat? Is it stupid to continue driving before repairing?

Posts: 455 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You can replace the stats. or clear the code and keep riding. It want hurt anything.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
I cleared the code but it'll probably just come back. When the check engine light came on I think the temp gauge read about 180. I didn't know it had to reach a certain temp in a given amount of time or the code will pop up.

Posts: 455 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The way I read it from GM the ECM goes by fuel used to reach a engine temp. of 162*. Most of the time its just one of the thermostats is weak or stuck slightly open. I would replace both while you are at it.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It’s not operating in the proper temp range. Put a new thermostat in it and clear it out then problem solved.

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Why not use your IR temp gun to check the top radiator hose? Should give some insight.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2324 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NFC:
The way I read it from GM the ECM goes by fuel used to reach a engine temp. of 162*. Most of the time its just one of the thermostats is weak or stuck slightly open. I would replace both while you are at it.

I didn't know there are two thermostats. I only know of the one at the end of the lower radiator hose, where it meets the water pump. Where's the second?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I thought you were talking about a diesel. You are correct about the gas engines have one on the lower hose, unless you have the 8.1 and its on the upper hose.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
If you don't replace it, it will use more fuel, and actually get to where it wants to over heat when you are stopped and idling.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
If you don't replace it, it will use more fuel, and actually get to where it wants to over heat when you are stopped and idling.

That's what I've heard. The code cleared for now and I was thinking maybe it was a fluke. Any chance of that?? My only issue with replacing it is that I don't have an easy way to drain the cooling system. There's no petc o ck in the radiator.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyc:
It’s not operating in the proper temp range. Put a new thermostat in it and clear it out then problem solved.

X2

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post