DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    9 degree vs. 14 degree heads
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9 degree vs. 14 degree heads
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I currently have 14 degree heads on my 622 BBC. I am thinking of putting a set of 9 degree heads on it. My question is will the pistons work along with the valve train. I know the pushrods will probably need to change.

Posts: 100 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
If your pistons are "flat top" then I would think they would probably work. We are running into a situation where we bought a 565 tall deck motor with 14 degree heads and 18 degree pistons that have a 13cc dome. This caused the use of a very thick head gasket and depending on how the cam was degreed, it shows 3 degrees retarded on the jesel belt piece. For your situation, you may just need to check piston to valve and if it hits the piston you can always fly cut the pocket.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The other issue I see here is that is that you really want the valve reliefs cut on the same angles as the valve.

Professional Engine builders with more experience might be able to chime in on this and maybe they will disagree.

My understanding has always been by having the valve relief at the correct angle in the event that you do break a spring and the valve touches you may get away with it without bending a valve. If the angle is different you are likely going to bend a valve. This is going back to helping on a comp eliminator car where they were running very tight piston to valve and a ton of rpm. Maybe a combination with lots of piston to valve would be more forgiving on this.

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Piston Valve pocket angle should always be the same as cylinder head valve angle and rotation. This is where clay can show what is exactly going on, where just an indicator will show the closest part of the valve touching the relief.
Depending on top ring location , diameter and radial thickness there may or may not be enough depth available in the intake relief to do this.
Sometimes new pistons are in order.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
This is a great article from Reher Morrison on checking piston to valve clearance. I have used these techniques since I read this article years ago and had good success. It takes a little more time but its very accurate.

http://rehermorrison.com/tech-...rance-the-right-way/

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Pascal
posted Hide Post
You will need to have the valve relief for the new heads cut on the pistons if you were close with the 14* heads.

Also the chamber on a 14* head is usually much bigger (In the 80-90cc range) compared to most probably in the low 60cc for the 9* heads. So this will dramatically increase your compression ratio which may force you to change pistons anyway.

You will also need valvetrain specific to that 9* head.

Pascal Lecompte
Lecompte Racing Engines
TD3726
248-703-8505
plecompte@lecompteracingengines.com

Dealer for:
Callies
Cometic Gaskets
Comp Cams
DART
Diamond Pistons
Morel Lifters
PAC Springs
PSI Springs
Quick Fuel Technology
T&D Machines
Trend Pushrods

Posts: 18 | Location: Ortonville, MI | Registered: December 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Pascal,

Thanks for the info. That is what I needed to know.

Posts: 100 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post