DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    GM Techs: 2015 Silverado DMax Battery/Electrical
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GM Techs: 2015 Silverado DMax Battery/Electrical
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Rich, I used to sell the 8D batteries to a local stereo store which ran their car audio display. I remember how HEAVY those things were once we filled them with acid! Once in awhile a truck driver would come in needing a pair, but it was mainly the stereo store and a local heavy equipment place that bought them from me.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Well Over 100lbs and too heavy for me anymore. Picture having to change out 2 of those in a building somewhere with a big generator in a basement area or on the roof. Downtown Newark or Hoboken or Jersey City. Some real big generators have 2 starters and 4 batteries. Or maybe 4 31 series batteries. I don’t do field work and haven’t for years. Changed oil ( 1-2 55 gal drums) on a 750 kw Cummins powered generator on the top floor of Newark’s tallest building. Nice view though. Lots of big generators out there!

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Well Over 100lbs and too heavy for me anymore. Picture having to change out 2 of those in a building somewhere with a big generator in a basement area or on the roof. Downtown Newark or Hoboken or Jersey City. Some real big generators have 2 starters and 4 batteries. Or maybe 4 31 series batteries. I don’t do field work and haven’t for years. Changed oil ( 1-2 55 gal drums) on a 750 kw Cummins powered generator on the top floor of Newark’s tallest building. Nice view though. Lots of big generators out there!

Yes sir, I don't want to handle that stuff anymore!

I have to look, but I think I have series 31's in both of my race cars. I know they are HUGE and heavy, but since I only run a single, I bought the biggest thing I could get in and out of the spot I made for them in the back.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Batteries that are very heavy for their size have more lead plates and way better specs.

6 volt Motorhome batteries are super heavy for their size and very expensive for the real good ones....Titan I think is one we have gotten for some drag racers toterhomes or motorhomes.

The 31 series is a good battery and I used them going back to the 1980's in my Vega.....Stud top truck battery.....probably weighs around 50lbs...

I had 140 lbs of weight plates between the wheel tubs at one time to make the S/ST weight minimum.....2500lbs back then.....with a small block. Car weighed 2515 across the scales with me in it at a MG division race. Yes they weighed cars back then.....

That was with 1 31 series battery in the back....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I weighed the group 31 in my car it was 71 lbs.

Posts: 39 | Location: ohio | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post