DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Need Dexter 6 lug brake drum -Bristol Dragway
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Dexter 6 lug brake drum -Bristol Dragway
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted
Anybody know where I can get a 6 lug Dexter brake drum near Bristol Dragway? Really all I need is wheel studs, but they’re probably hard to get out with regular hand tools. Or, what size stud fits?

Thanks!

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Have you checked a tractor supply

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Good thought. I have not. I’ll try that.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow is Thursday. I'd try etrailer.com for overnight if you can't find one local.

SL...

Posts: 2105 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Tractor supply shows 2 in stock. I didn’t know they carried Dexter parts. Nice. Thanks TB.

Matt Ward

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The wheel studs hammer out and can be hammered back in most times

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
There is a place that sells trailers right down from the track going towards Johnson city on the left if I remember correctly. They may have something if tractor supply doesn’t work out

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
There is a place that sells trailers right down from the track going towards Johnson city on the left if I remember correctly. They may have something if tractor supply doesn’t work out

ep

Thanks. I'll probably check there first since it's close.

Matt Ward

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
By chance,you don't need an 8-388 drum do you?

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Did you get your drum? Last time I looked I had a used one.

Posts: 1461 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Northern tool also. I was there last week and the person parked next to me got a hub there.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you hammer one of the bad studs out and find a NAPA I’m sure they can match them up

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 62ChevyII
posted Hide Post
I would check with any of the above mentioned places, or some RV lots, truck shops, etc will carry these. Just changed some on my 8 lug drum for preventative maintenance that didnt feel right. Mine were 9/16" and a little over 2" long. I took the drum off and used a rubber hammer and knocked them out. Then an extension and a hammer on the inside to knock them in, and a spacer and old lugnut on the outside to help pull it through. Go ahead and repack that wheel bearing if you have some grease with you as well. Hope this helps

Posts: 8 | Location: Kermit, WV | Registered: February 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
I ended up finding a drum at Northern Tool. They had exactly the right one.

I'll say this, torque your lug nuts regularly. I've never had a problem with loose lugs before but did this time.

I'm planning to replace all the studs if I can find the right ones. I see some online but they are $12 each. That's unreasonable. I'll try knocking one out and measuring soon.

Thanks!

Matt Ward

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i redid all of the brakes on my trailer last winter. new hubs and backing plates and bearings. I took an old one that was in good shape and cleaned it up and put in in my trailer along with spare old bearings and old seals. may never need any of it myself but I could have helped you out or someone in need at some point in the future.

ep-

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I wondered how you made out. Torqueing lug nuts on a racecar and the trailer is never a bad habit to get into.

Posts: 1461 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post