DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Suggestions plz for fuel cell vent tube
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions plz for fuel cell vent tube
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted
Guys, I want to run a metal tube from the vent pipe of my fuel cell, through the floor of the race truck box and into open air.

The fuel cell in mounted in the pickup box and is under a tonneau cover. I don't want gas fumes to build up under there.

The vent on top of my fuel cell has a roll-over shutoff in it and is threaded to accept I think a -6AN fitting.

I'm not sure what to select for metal tubing and I reckon it would need to be flared.

I've heard that one needs to bend a 360-degree loop in the tubing.

Any clues for me?

Thanks, all. Stay well.
T.

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mine makes a 360

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Nusz:
Guys, I want to run a metal tube from the vent pipe of my fuel cell, through the floor of the race truck box and into open air.

The fuel cell in mounted in the pickup box and is under a tonneau cover. I don't want gas fumes to build up under there.

The vent on top of my fuel cell has a roll-over shutoff in it and is threaded to accept I think a -6AN fitting.

I'm not sure what to select for metal tubing and I reckon it would need to be flared.

I've heard that one needs to bend a 360-degree loop in the tubing.

Any clues for me?

Thanks, all. Stay well.
T.

I used some left over aluminum fuel line -6. Used a 5 lb. nitrous bottle to form the loops 2 or 3. Flared end on cell side & hole with grommet on other end. The other car has a bulk head fitting in the floor.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2514 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
you could also just use a short piece of #6 braided line with fitting, run it up, loop it, then outside the truck, and put a small filter on the other end.

Posts: 138 | Location: Midlothian, Texas | Registered: October 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you have a roll over valve you don’t need to put a loop in it the loop is to act as a roll over valve

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Some advice I got from Larry Meaux years ago.. Put a larger than -6 or 3/8 vent in your tank. If you are using a hi gpm type pump. He showed a loss of power on the dyno because the pump actually put the tank in a vacuum.. Just saying..
Also I run a K&N filter on my vent to keep dirt out of the tank. Without the filter it will suck dust in..My .03...

https://www.summitracing.com/s...n%20vent%20breathers

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3304 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post