DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Strange brake caliper sticking.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange brake caliper sticking.
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Had one of the rear Strange calipers get real sticky after a run. Barely rolled into the pits. Crack the bleeder and it backs off.
Bad line possibly or bad caliper?

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1216 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have seen bad flex lines do this when they get older. They collapse inside and hold pressure to the caliper. The caliper could also be the issue. Hold worn are the pads? I have seen this happen when the pads get thin also. Not just a strange deal.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We were guessing line as when we opened bleeder the stuck one released and the other side is OK. Got two lines today. Gee, only 20 years old!!

Thanks.

Jok

Posts: 1216 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Just babies! LOL

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Just babies! LOL

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
How wore are the pads..

Posts: 1247 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
A rebuilt caliper is a happy caliper. Kits are pennies. Aside from that. Ever boil the brakes, re kit it.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Best fix I found for the strange brakes that were on my car was to toss them in the trash and install Mark Williams calipers and rotors. Car never stopped and rolled so good after I did.

Posts: 2395 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Big Steve...KNOWS Big Grin

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Heck the brake pedal, I found my pedal sticking last year and think it was from the powder coating rubbing and causing it to stick where it pivots. Tore it apart sanded it and lubed it and all was good.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I had Aerospace Components brakes on my last car.....Have Mark Williams on current car....Not even in the same league......I do miss being able to drive up to Mark Williams for stuff when I needed it though, was nice to have them local...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Lamb FTW

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
drag car brakes..

#1 Lamb
#1.5 Mark Williams
#2 Strange
#3 Moser
#4 Wilwood
#5 Aerospace

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’ve had strange,still got Mark Williams on one ride fixin to try out lambs on another but the best calipers I’ve used without question with a Mark Williams rotor is TBM....

Posts: 1247 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
drag car brakes..

#1 Lamb
#1.5 Mark Williams
#2 Strange
#3 Moser
#4 Wilwood
#5 Aerospace

Ed,

Lamb does make nice brakes, just have no idea why they use cast rotors! I have never seen a MW rotor break but have with Lamb's. IMO cast rotors have no place on a race car.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Cast rotors don't warp

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cast rotors don't warp

Neither have my MW steel ones.

More maintenance/checking with CI. I also Lamb does state limits with their CI stuff and many using them exceed those!

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My MW rotors have but we use our brakes before the finishline Wink

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the ideas. Looks like it was the left line. Replaced them both, probably going to rebuild if O-rings get here.

Never had an issue with Strange brakes, this was a line failure (been on the dragster since we built it, 2001). Done master cylinder once and freshened calipers about 12 years ago just because...?

Have a safe Holiday weekend and beyond.

Jok

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cast rotors don't warp

Aren’t the rotors on your daily driver cast? I know mine are and they warp.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post