DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Aerospace Mandrel Pully for Alternator
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aerospace Mandrel Pully for Alternator
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Just got a mini 16v alternator and need to get a mandrel pully. What size should I get?

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
a general guide is to overdrive the alternator by around 30%

To say another way, the crankshaft pulley will be 30% larger than the alternator pulley.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the Aerospace mandrel already have the alternator pulley? that's how mine is mounted to the balancer and then you add the rest of your accessories on after that..

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The aerospace mandrel has the pully mounted flat up against the balances. My application and bracket require the alternator pully to be more forward and even with the front of the waterpump almost.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Ahh, ok. I would just try to match the size of that pulley with the one on the balancer, and then whoever makes your alternator call them up and make sure that whatever size is on the alternator itself won't over spin the alternator. When I got mine from Mark Payne (House of Payne) he told me that for the most part, these newer alternators can't be overspun so go ahead and spin it as hard as you want for the most part.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The thing with spinning it faster than required for proper voltage is the extra power it consumes.

Example one, 30% overdrive would produce 9600 alternator RPM with a 7400 RPM shift point. At a 1500 engine RPM the alternator would spin 1950. Which is at or near the alternator full output.

Example two, a 60% overdrive would produce 11,840 alternator RPM with 7400 shift point. An engine RPM of 1500 will produce an alternator RPM of 2400.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post