DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Crankcase Evacuation System
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crankcase Evacuation System
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Short of running a Crankcase Evacuation System what other alternatives is there, getting a little blow by with just the air breathers, bought a little vaccum pump, but is this good enough.

Posts: 356 | Location: OGLESBY,ILLINOIS,USA | Registered: April 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The electric vacuum pumps like used on GM cars will do an OK job, just not much more than 4 or 5 inches of vacuum.

Posts: 138 | Location: Midlothian, Texas | Registered: October 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Old school "road draft" tube. They picked up crankcase gases at the back of the intake and ran a metal tube to about the bottom of the pan area. Trim the pipe/hose end with a angle cut opening facing the rear. As the car goes down the road it creates a low pressure area and draws out the gasses. Hey, you ask "what other alternatives"! Wink

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2330 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Before vacuum pump we use exhaust to pull vaccum on crank case. Simple tube in one header tube angles in to the wind and hooked it to the breathers.One each side. The air going past tube pulled air out.

Was told old vacuum pump off mid 80's model V8 chevy would work good also.Well think they where smog pumps.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
Belt driven vacuum pump is the best solution but also the most expensive.

Header evac does work and has been used for a lot of years. It might maintain 1-2" of vacuum at WOT which is just enough to keep the crankcase in a slight vacuum.

An electric vacuum pump (modified electric smog pump) does not pull a lot of air. It's good for pulling condensation from the engine when the engine is off but can't pull enough air through the pump with the engine running to maintain a vacuum. At WOT it's even worse.

Draft tube is no different that simply having a breather in the valve cover. No vacuum but excess pressure in the crankcase has an escape route.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1349 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have a fitting into the bottom of the manifold, over the valley, with a pvc valve and into the intake right under the carb. I seems to work very good and has for years. Looks good to.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
[IMG:right] [/IMG] I have a little blow by coming off my valve cover breathers , they have been uncovered while running the car, could I get by with something like this until i can get a bigger vaccum pump system or get some tubes welded into the collectors of my headers

Posts: 356 | Location: OGLESBY,ILLINOIS,USA | Registered: April 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post