Bracket Talk
Crankcase Evacuation System

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/4557061186

May 30, 2018, 09:20 AM
JCDRAGS
Crankcase Evacuation System
Short of running a Crankcase Evacuation System what other alternatives is there, getting a little blow by with just the air breathers, bought a little vaccum pump, but is this good enough.
May 30, 2018, 09:26 AM
topfuel
The electric vacuum pumps like used on GM cars will do an OK job, just not much more than 4 or 5 inches of vacuum.
May 30, 2018, 11:23 AM
Canted Valve
Old school "road draft" tube. They picked up crankcase gases at the back of the intake and ran a metal tube to about the bottom of the pan area. Trim the pipe/hose end with a angle cut opening facing the rear. As the car goes down the road it creates a low pressure area and draws out the gasses. Hey, you ask "what other alternatives"! Wink

Illegitimi non carborundum
May 30, 2018, 12:25 PM
wideopen231
Before vacuum pump we use exhaust to pull vaccum on crank case. Simple tube in one header tube angles in to the wind and hooked it to the breathers.One each side. The air going past tube pulled air out.

Was told old vacuum pump off mid 80's model V8 chevy would work good also.Well think they where smog pumps.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.
May 30, 2018, 02:20 PM
AlkyIROC
Belt driven vacuum pump is the best solution but also the most expensive.

Header evac does work and has been used for a lot of years. It might maintain 1-2" of vacuum at WOT which is just enough to keep the crankcase in a slight vacuum.

An electric vacuum pump (modified electric smog pump) does not pull a lot of air. It's good for pulling condensation from the engine when the engine is off but can't pull enough air through the pump with the engine running to maintain a vacuum. At WOT it's even worse.

Draft tube is no different that simply having a breather in the valve cover. No vacuum but excess pressure in the crankcase has an escape route.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

June 01, 2018, 08:06 PM
ferndaleflyer
I have a fitting into the bottom of the manifold, over the valley, with a pvc valve and into the intake right under the carb. I seems to work very good and has for years. Looks good to.
June 03, 2018, 11:32 AM
JCDRAGS
[IMG:right] [/IMG] I have a little blow by coming off my valve cover breathers , they have been uncovered while running the car, could I get by with something like this until i can get a bigger vaccum pump system or get some tubes welded into the collectors of my headers