DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Oil Pressure Problem - Need Advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oil Pressure Problem - Need Advice
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
any pump can fail ,my titan has taken a beating and never faltered not to say it cant.i think good oil pressure cold and bad hot is the answer its a leak somewhere if not the bearings then somewhere else.galley plugs,distributor,ect

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
We have had a modified rear main off of an iron motor for years that we can test pump pressure in a gallon can of regular motor oil.

It tests 75 psi, but the oil was at room temperature.

Might need to have an easy way to heat it up. Maybe a bracket on the top of the pan rails to hold the rear main and pump in the oil pan and use the pan heater?

Posts: 414 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
David, check your private messages.

Good luck, regards Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bob!

We will check it out!

DG

Posts: 414 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Problem solved!

The motto for today:

“Trust, but verify!”

I ordered the -10 under main bearing and they shipped standard size.

We didn’t double check [our bad], so major oil “leak”.

Just to be sure we did sent the pump off to Titan for a review.

No place to race now, but at least we will have oil pressure!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Gerard:
I have been running drag race engines since the early 60’. TF, Comp, and now TD.

This one has me challenged!

Aluminum Brodix Big Duke BBC. Just went through a complete major rebuild with new sleeves, cam bearings, rod and main bearings, rings, etc.

On the motor stand: 75 psi oil pressure with a drill motor. [20-50 oil]
In the car: Initially 75 psi oil pressure and then over two minutes running, it slowly drops to 25-30 psi. If you rev the engine, it goes up to about 45 psi. Oil never got above 120 degrees!

Took motor out of car checked Titan pump, inspected everything, but didn’t dissemble motor. Just checked a rod bearing and it looked like it had never been run. Normal side clearance on rods. No “stuff” in the pan, filter, etc.

Ran the same routine as above and got the same results!

We will pull the engine again and start disassembly, but I’d like some ideas on what might be wrong!

HELP![/QUOTE

Was it rebuilt by a shop, or a home assembly?
If a home assembly were the clearances checked with a mic and dial bore gauge, Or just read some part numbers?
Have had bearings not even close, marked std, HX, and .001
That is why clearances need to be physically checked prior to assembly.
Crank needs to be confirmed as a specific size.

I dynoed a BBC years back that had the same symptoms, 75 cold, 25 after 1 pull.
Had std bearings marked as .010 as the crank was .010 under. Had about .011 clearance.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
Had a big block Mopar that I ran std. rod bearings on a .010 under crank for 58 passes, by mistake naturally.
Had 70 PSI going down track and about 30 at idle with a HV Melling pump and 20-50 Kendall.
When I pulled it apart the rod bearings still looked like new.
After that I've never worried about a little extra bearing clearance.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11004 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
And there you have it. Check, check, check.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post