DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Mickey Thompson Stiff sidewall slicks...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mickey Thompson Stiff sidewall slicks...
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted
I have been running the MT PBR's in the 31.5x13 size...I have decided to go back to the stiff sidewall slicks in the 14x32's and see how they do...

My question is this...what pressure do y'all run in these 14x32's?...I honestly can't recall...getting old I guess....lol...

My car weighs 3200 with me in it...mild bracket car running 6.50 in the 1/8...pump gas 496 with a 4 link out back and a Dana 60 with 5:13 gears and a glide...

Thanks folks...

Posts: 1272 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We run 9-9.5lbs 2900lbs ladder bar car going 6.1x

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 461 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dennis...

Posts: 1272 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I run a 3200lb camaro running 6.0 @ 10psi

Posts: 26 | Location: washington iowa | Registered: May 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Not the same tire but they are stiff sidewall 33x15x15 mt running 8psi 2900lb 5.90's.

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I'll be the guy that asks, why going back to bias? I did the same thing, tried PBR's and went back to bias.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I understand the positive feedback in ref to radial slicks and also understand that some have an excellent performance from them.

On the other hand, many of us also have excellent performance and service life from bias slicks.

Personally, the M/T 32x14 stiff [3074S] has given me excellent results in the 6.10 - 6.0 performance range at around 3000 pounds.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
I'll be the guy that asks, why going back to bias? I did the same thing, tried PBR's and went back to bias.

Thanks everyone....looks like 8-10 lbs. may be the range...

I am going back to the 3074S because I had some issues with the radials...sporadic but issues nonetheless...mostly spinning off the line out of the blue...particularly late at night when the dew sets in down this way...lost two finals this year that way...

I loved the way the radials held air which was big for me...I have put two coats of Murphy's Oil Soap in the new ones so we'll see if this helps holding air...

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I recently switched from Hoosier 18245 (32x14 stiff) that I have used for the past 8 years to the MT 3074S (32x14 stiffwall) on 14” wide rims with bead locks. I have 96 runs on these tires now.

My 2820# 4-link car will run 6.0 to 6.5 depending on the tune up. I use 9.5 lbs in the MT. I used 10.5 lbs in the Hoosiers prior.

When asked, it was suggested by Larry Woodfin that I soap these tires prior to install which I did with Walmart brand dish soap. I was happy to find that these tires do not leak even after sitting several weeks.

Posts: 2434 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of goddard racing
posted Hide Post
i have the 3074S on my car. ladder bar car weighing 2700 lbs running 5.60s. I run 8.5 PSI in them

Posts: 19 | Location: ga | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
I recently switched from Hoosier 18245 (32x14 stiff) that I have used for the past 8 years to the MT 3074S (32x14 stiffwall) on 14” wide rims with bead locks. I have 96 runs on these tires now.

My 2820# 4-link car will run 6.0 to 6.5 depending on the tune up. I use 9.5 lbs in the MT. I used 10.5 lbs in the Hoosiers prior.

When asked, it was suggested by Larry Woodfin that I soap these tires prior to install which I did with Walmart brand dish soap. I was happy to find that these tires do not leak even after sitting several weeks.

I did not soap my 33x15x15 and they do not leak at all.

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
My Camaro with a mild 383 weighing 2780 with a 4.88 that runs 6.40s in 1/8 mile stuff was 33 x 15 x 15 Mickeys uses 7.5 to 8.0 . Each set gets around 150 to 170 hits before they fade , 60s fall off and are placed...

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy dice:
I have been running the MT PBR's in the 31.5x13 size...I have decided to go back to the stiff sidewall slicks in the 14x32's and see how they do...

My question is this...what pressure do y'all run in these 14x32's?...I honestly can't recall...getting old I guess....lol...

My car weighs 3200 with me in it...mild bracket car running 6.50 in the 1/8...pump gas 496 with a 4 link out back and a Dana 60 with 5:13 gears and a glide...

Thanks folks...

Not to sound like a **** but with only running 6.50s and 4 link you should be able to do just about anything and get that car to hook with any size/make/width tire!

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1433 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:
My Camaro with a mild 383 weighing 2780 with a 4.88 that runs 6.40s in 1/8 mile stuff was 33 x 15 x 15 Mickeys uses 7.5 to 8.0 . Each set gets around 150 to 170 hits before they fade , 60s fall off and are placed...

Do you know the tread hole depth left when you replace? My new MT had hole depths of .190” and after 96 runs they are now .130” . I’m expecting over 200 runs based on what I’ve used in tread depth. I Do Not do short burn outs.

Posts: 2434 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I run 5.75 with my 1700 lbs front engine dragster. Your car at 3200 will need a lot more than that.

Also with the low pressures we run I have seen significant difference between gauges.

Hopefully someone close to same weight as yours will give you a good starting point.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3965 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Mark the holes are helpful but when the 60 Foot start dropping off by a consistent level the dots do not matter to me , Some of my mickeys have lasted over 190, but when I get to 140 runs get new ones coming. This practice has served me well....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2697 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Sometimes with older tires they may still hook good, 60 foot times good but reaction times start getting goofy.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3965 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy dice:
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:

Thanks everyone....looks like 8-10 lbs. may be the range...

I am going back to the 3074S because I had some issues with the radials...sporadic but issues nonetheless...mostly spinning off the line out of the blue...particularly late at night when the dew sets in down this way...lost two finals this year that way...

I loved the way the radials held air which was big for me...I have put two coats of Murphy's Oil Soap in the new ones so we'll see if this helps holding air...

OK, had to ask I had similar experience with them. When the spin they SPIN, the car would shudder. Granted I race at some tracks with marginal prep at times.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I have a set of 3074's on FED and they loose air like crazy I mean to to 3 tenths every month or so. Maybe I just got lucky.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:

Do you know the tread hole depth left when you replace? My new MT had hole depths of .190” and after 96 runs they are now .130” . I’m expecting over 200 runs based on what I’ve used in tread depth. I Do Not do short burn outs.

I did not put the gauge on them but the PBR's only have 152 passes on them...looks to be plenty of rubber left...at two events last weekend the car spun on launch 13 out of 15 runs...we kept dismissing the tires since most get 250-300 runs on the PBR's...finally that is all that is left for it to be...we'll see this coming weekend...I am thinking the weather has gotten to them since my car sits outside on an open trailer 24/7...