DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Back up button ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back up button ?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Dead On
posted Hide Post
I had a longer thin momentary button on the side of my butterfly wheel for backing up. I pushed it with my index finger when gripping the wheel, worked great. Unless your getting real sideways with your burn outs a lot of steering input isn't necessary. You can get a lot of movement out of 90 degrees of input with a dragster. If you have a mega box you'll need a diode if you have a K&R you don't

Posts: 73 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
Mount a momentary switch on/in the shifter that is activated in the R position that provides voltage to the trans brake solenoid.
Use the reverse back up light switch provided with some shifters to activate the TB solenoid.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Backup and 3 step buttons are on opposite sides of my butterfly wheel.

Can’t accidentally hit either.

Mounting a switch on the shifter would be a pretty major undertaking and A dash button is a better option. I just never got around to installing dash buttons.

It’s not much of a big deal now.

Mostly it just depends on how I’m pitted and how much backing up I have to do.

If possible I park to minimize the backing up issues.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead On:
If you have a mega box you'll need a diode if you have a K&R you don't

Where does the diode go and what is it doing for you?

The instructions for Mega 450 and 700 specifically discuss wiring for a bypass button and there is no mention of a diode in either case. I have a 450 and don't use a diode.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
On my junk, I used a SPDT relay and a toggle switch, mounted right below my K&R. Wired the normally closed side of the relay to the 12v feeding the delay box, normally open side I interlocked with the fuel pump then wired directly to the tb solenoid. Flip toggle switch on, transbrake solenoid engaged, easy to back up. Interlocking with the fuel pump relay prevented accidentally leaving the tb solenoid “on” when backing up to the trailer between passes. Leave toggle off, power went to delay box for normal operation. Kind of foolproof because after backing up after the burnout and putting it in low to stage, it won’t move (tb is locked) until flipping the switch off. Never had ANY trouble with this setup.
When I rewired the car recently, I took the bypass toggle out because I do stupid crap sometimes. First race out with having to hold the tb button to back up sucked. It’s definitely going back in!

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Couple of things....

As discussed, if the SLE option is turned on in a Mega 450, when you hit the trans brake it always activates the SLE. On a pro cube, you have to manually activate the SLE using the bump button or you’ll have a regular pedal when you hit the trans brake.

I also don’t understand the need for a diode in this situation. In either box you just go 12V to one side of a switch and put the other side right on the trans brake terminal of the delay box.

My car has a switch for a backup button. It’s very convenient to use but I have left it on before. Usually it happens when something disrupts the routine - last time it was in the bracket finals, car in front of me left, I did the burnout, car in front got loose so they backed us off to check the track and my solenoid stayed energized for 5 minutes. Didn’t seem to hurt it but I replaced the coil anyway...

My friends car that I’ve driven has a mushroom button by the left thumb for a backup button. My wife’s car has a button on the dash. I prefer the button on the dash since it’s easier to steer when backing up.

I personally wouldn’t wire a momentary switch on the shifter to automatically activate the tbrake. I like the safety feature of needing to push the button to get reverse. Especially if you put it in neutral at the stripe - if the lockout fails or cable stretches or something crazy happens ya don’t want to be in reverse!

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Packmule
posted Hide Post
Lots of good info, my shifter doesn’t have a provision for a reverse switch. As stated ROUTINE is everything, just had a few things that all added up and I got distracted for a moment.

Posts: 18 | Location: Southeast Missouri | Registered: January 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mine is simply wired to the fuel pump switch on my Painless switch panel. Never thought about hitting it down track. its low so would have to bump it with knee I guess but been this way for years and never a problem, sure nice for backing up...I have a belt drive pump so had an extra switch...

Posts: 265 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
Running a K&R pro cube delay box with the z-force option. Instead of holding the button in, you tap it to set the pro brake, and tap it again when you want to release it.

Works so great for backing up that I decided to keep it engaged for leaving the line too. It sure took some getting used to, but now I prefer it for hitting the tree.

Just another option.....

Posts: 154 | Location: PA | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
I use the momentary button that came with my racepak to engage reverse when I have to back up & turn. When I back up from the burnout I use the button on the steering wheel & just toggle the reset on the delay box when I get all the way back.

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of W.A.O. 111
posted Hide Post
Lol , you wont

photo wao-painting-logo-1_zpse0a5ba9f.jpg

Posts: 338 | Location: chiefland fl. | Registered: March 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have a PPP shifter with the micro switch built in. Put the car in reverse and push the button on top of the shifter all the way down. Let go even just a tiny bit and it disconnects. Has worked perfectly and it goes straight to my delay box on the TB (mega 400) terminal, no diode.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
mine is like cashflow's,an aircraft switch on dash.it would be impossible to leave on and not know it because you cant move forward if on.i start backing up hit record ,flip switch down and coast behind stage.i had the momentary on the wheel,i was used to it and it worked ok.accidental activation is now out of the question.also maneuvering while backing is much easier now.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
The separate switch on the dash with a cover would work great but if you back into your pit spot it would be easy to levae it on. Might be better if it was wired to nly active with the fuel pump switch or ignition. This way if left on it wouldn't keep the solenoid activated between rounds in the pit.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
I put a small red light on my shifter to let me know the T/B is on. No distraction even at night.

Posts: 254 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I’ll try to post a picture in the next few days.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you have a delay box, you don't need a 1 way diode wired in but if you don't have a box or if your delay box for some reason doesn't already have diode protection from backfeeding, you'll need a 1 way diode to prevent from back feeding the delay box. I run dedenbear boxes and they are all diode protected.

My button is on the steering wheel, left side, bottom quadrant, mine is an indy wheel. Same deal on my son's car his is butterfly wheel. Works fine in both applications a little more difficult on the butterfly wheel but you get use to it.

Posts: 370 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I asked my trans guy if we could eliminate the back up button with a pro brake. Yes He told me to put a diod on the line lock wire and it works fine. What did my trans guy do ??

Posts: 10 | Location: NYC | Registered: November 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
you could add a delay off module, tap the button and the trans brake gets power for 10 seconds.

https://www.amazon.com/Akozon-...d=1573309618&sr=8-39

might have to add a relay, that's just 10 amps

Joe
edit single relay https://www.delcity.net/store/...ys/p_804415.h_804416

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sr4440,

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post