DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Back up button ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back up button ?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Packmule
posted
When using a delay box what do you guys use for the backup button? Currently the car is set up with a single trans brake button on the wheel, and a small toggle switch on the dash with a light that when switched one way the light is on and the button bypasses the delay box, then after the backing up from the burnout it is switched so the button activates the box. It’s cost me a few races now and then because I’ve forgot to switch it and actually leave on the first bulb. My thoughts were to add a separate switch for backing up, if so would you put it on the wheel also or on the dash? This is a butterfly wheel in a dragster.

Posts: 18 | Location: Southeast Missouri | Registered: January 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Why not just wire that existing switch to activate reverse by itself, without needing the button?

I have a separate button along the upper frame rail as my "bypass button" for reverse. I don't like them on the wheel; makes it much more difficult to turn while backing up.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I have a backup button on my butterfly wheel.

A Momentary type switch.
It does bypass the delay box....a K&R

It's a pain to back up and turn the wheel at the same time but I use it as is.

Never liked the idea of a dash switch or button.

Backing up straight is not an issue....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Well two ways to go.

FTI has a Pro Brake that doesn't require engaging the solenoid to reverse.

Run a separate toggle to the solenoid to provide power - you still have to remember to turn it off before moving to low gear tho...

Save on Fuel - GetUpside - https://upside.app.link/jE7eqmHc2z

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I use an aircraft toggle switch cover on the steering wheel. Pretty much impossible to miss it. Do the burnout, put car in reverse, flip cover up and flip up backup switch.

Backup, stop, slap switch cover down, good to go.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
I have a momentary button wired in parallel with a diode in order to back up. Easy, and you'll never worry about forgetting to flip a switch. Its also easy to back up.

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TPaton:
I have a momentary button wired in parallel with a diode in order to back up. Easy, and you'll never worry about forgetting to flip a switch. Its also easy to back up.

X2

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6394 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
X3....button on the dash

Posts: 28 | Location: USA | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I just don't see what the big deal is backing up with the button on the steering wheel, door car, dragster, roadster, been doing it for years and has never bothered me. After backing up I reset the K&R box. Just normal routine for me.

Posts: 2421 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Button on the shifter insulated from the rest of the trans brake wiring using a diode.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I just don't see what the big deal is backing up with the button on the steering wheel, door car, dragster, roadster, been doing it for years and has never bothered me. After backing up I reset the K&R box. Just normal routine for me.

I did the same until I started using a starting line enhancer. Then I had no throttle. Usually idle is enough in reverse, but it was a huge pain when I needed throttle.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Make the back up fail free. That means the button or switch should be momentary and use a diode to bypass the delay box. Nothing to reset (delay box) or fail (trans brake solenoid).

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:

I did the same until I started using a starting line enhancer. Then I had no throttle. Usually idle is enough in reverse, but it was a huge pain when I needed throttle.

I ran an SLE and never had that problem SLE is on a separate button to activate that I would push right before I stage

Posts: 2421 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I ran an SLE and never had that problem SLE is on a separate button to activate that I would push right before I stage

On my Mega 450, even if you don't activate the SLE before staging, it will activate when you press the transbrake button.

Perhaps the delay box being used is important to the discussion. I don't understand all the diode talk; on a Mega box you have one side of the button to +12v and the other side goes directly to the Transbrake terminal of the delay box. None of the timers activate and the Line Lock (if used) should be on another terminal so there is no backfeeding to worry about.

Tony Leonard

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

On my Mega 450, even if you don't activate the SLE before staging, it will activate when you press the transbrake button.

Perhaps the delay box being used is important to the discussion. I don't understand all the diode talk; on a Mega box you have one side of the button to +12v and the other side goes directly to the Transbrake terminal of the delay box. None of the timers activate and the Line Lock (if used) should be on another terminal so there is no backfeeding to worry about.

Yea must be a delay box thing, I use a K&R and it does not do that when I push the button to back up.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Some delay boxes use a +12v to activate and others use Negative signal. All output +12v from the Trans Brake terminal to transbrake solenoid.

If the TB terminal only has 1 wire from solenoid landed on it, then a momentary switch output to this terminal is all that is needed. If you feed another device with the TB terminal of delay box then a diode is needed.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Some delay boxes use a +12v to activate and others use Negative signal.

This is absolutely true for a normal button terminal, but we're talking about bypass buttons here. For that purpose it will always be one side of the button to +12v and the other side to the Transbrake terminal.

Tony Leonard

DRR Trophy
Picture of alanr
posted Hide Post
have second button on wheel (of dragster) only hot when 3-step is on to use as backup button, when threestep off button doesn't work brake, doesn't go thru delay box so no enhancer stuf to worry about

Posts: 10 | Location: southeastern, Pa | Registered: May 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We installed a red mushroom button on the upper left corner of the dash, out of the way. Work it with left hand and steer with right hand.

With an SLE, taking that out of the equation is a good thing, and no need to reset the box.

Everybody has their routine, I like to keep it simple and as safe as possible.

With all the horror stories of SLE involved mishaps, I think the extra HOT button is the way to do it.

Also helps prevent any mistakes when preparing to stage.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Packmule
posted Hide Post
I’m leaning towards the dash mounted momentary button to back up, as small as the butterfly wheel is I don’t want to take a chance on my hand hitting the button accidentally after the launch.

Posts: 18 | Location: Southeast Missouri | Registered: January 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post