DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Pro Charger F1X vs Baby Blower
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pro Charger F1X vs Baby Blower
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
What would the pros and cons of each be in a bracket setup?

I know the Pro Charger would have the ability to run faster, simply because it can apply more boost. But is there a downside to the pro charger, as far as heat soak in a door car driving to and from the lanes?

I see guys driving the baby blowers around, and obviously due to the way they work, on alky they're constantly cooling the rotors.

Does anyone have experience?

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:

I know the Pro Charger would have the ability to run faster, simply because it can apply more boost. But is there a downside to the pro charger, as far as heat soak in a door car driving to and from the lanes?

I see guys driving the baby blowers around, and obviously due to the way they work, on alky they're constantly cooling the rotors.

I'm building a ProCharger bracket racing set-up currently. I will be using an F-1A-94 as recommended by ProCharger for bracket racing. I've been doing my research, but have no experience yet.

As for heat soak on the ProCharger, I'm sure there's some. Remember, the ProCharger is off to the side or in front of the motor. What we are going to do is inject water/methanol into the inlet side of the head unit to help cool it.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2541 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:

I'm building a ProCharger bracket racing set-up currently. I will be using an F-1A-94 as recommended by ProCharger for bracket racing. I've been doing my research, but have no experience yet.

As for heat soak on the ProCharger, I'm sure there's some. Remember, the ProCharger is off to the side or in front of the motor. What we are going to do is inject water/methanol into the inlet side of the head unit to help cool it.

be careful injecting fuel into the procharger... I was advised against it... if it ever backfires once its gonna make a mess of it...

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:

be careful injecting fuel into the procharger... I was advised against it... if it ever backfires once its gonna make a mess of it...

Even on a roots type blower if it backfires it makes a mess and gets expensive.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:

Duly noted!

Using a small jet & a 50/50 mix, hopefully we don't make a mess.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2541 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Speaking of backfiring.

I always can dump just a cap full of gas in the carb to help with the first start of the day on alcohol.

What do you do with a pro charger? I suppose you could take the had off the blow through carb and dumb gas in it, but that seems like it would be a pain.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Speaking of backfiring.

I always can dump just a cap full of gas in the carb to help with the first start of the day on alcohol.

What do you do with a pro charger? I suppose you could take the had off the blow through carb and dumb gas in it, but that seems like it would be a pain.

Real easy to pull a boost or vac line off and squirt fuel from a primer bottle if needed… i use a primer pump

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Pros for a 250 - simple, proven, easy, several combos out there, one day/night install, cost about 5k for the entire kit, blower kit generally has everything less hoses and fittings to complete the install, fun as hell, easy to tune, immediate throttle response, simple to run MFI with
Cons for a 250 - limited to about 4.30 range in most applications with iron block and a 4 link dragster (8-10 psi max on a 598 is what i've seen), requires fuel pump crank mandrel with hemi pattern or cam drive pump, can be hard on crank snout (broke my scat crank), tons of torque EARLY in the rpm range (timing retards are easy to use and effective at managing), blower surge can occasionally

I've never run one:
Procharger Pro's - 4.00 ET potential for 4 link dragsters, seems like i've seen these guys run teens easily, manageable idle with zero surge, less torque at lower rpm, less fuel consumption, they seem to respond really well in bracket applications, carb friendly

Procharger con's - cost, complexity of air piping, packaging room (distance to firewall on older cars for crank mount), side slinger mount looks weird, still requires mandrel and blower pulley, complexity of the drive systems appears to be more than that for a 250, never seen an MFI system in person (i know there are some i've just never seen them)

Posts: 373 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
As far as the cold start concern with methanol and a procharger, a ron's primer plus system under the carb should work fine. The nitrous solenoid should stop boost from going backwards into the primer plus system, but you might need to verify that. I know they work to prevent vacuum from sucking the auxiliary fuel tank dry, but not sure about their ability to hold pressure in when exposed to manifold pressure.

Posts: 373 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Looks like a F1x-12 Head unit is almost double the price of the 250 Blower full ready to go Kit.

That must be why so many go that route.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like a F1x-12 Head unit is almost double the price of the 250 Blower full ready to go Kit.

That must be why so many go that route.

Plus it's a smaller more compact package and a lot of the time the same carburetor can be used.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post