DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    blower belt fray...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

blower belt fray...
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Have about 60 runs on the baby blower with the cog setup and the edges are starting to fray....

I'm going to buy another belt, is there a brand that is superior to another? it's a 2" belt by the way. A buddy suggested he cured his fraying with a shorter belt.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Star Racer is the best belt you can buy

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i don't believe they make 2" width belt, unless i haven't stumbled across the part numbers yet.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I know this is not apples to apples due to the fact that I run a 1471 high helix. If I could even get 30 runs from a belt I would be happy. The higher the blower ratio, the higher the load will be on the belt. I chalk it up to running a blower. I replace when seeing any detrimental indicator of a upcoming failure.

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
To caveat my last post. The gentleman who posted Star being a good belt is correct. Contact RBS superchargers for price and availability. They may also be able to assist you with the premature fraying. Very knowledgeable on blowers and drives.

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If it’s fraying the belt to the inside and you run a crank trigger wheel you might need the spacer kit to move the belt away from inside edge of bottom pulley.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a spacer installed to compensate for the crank trigger wheel.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I am on my 3rd season on the same 8mm Star racer belt and it looks brand new. 14/71 HH TBS XR1 blower.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I am on my 3rd season on the same 8mm Star racer belt and it looks brand new. 14/71 HH TBS XR1 blower.

You guys have convinced me to change.
Thanks

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
A barrel shaped idler pulley can help with irregular tracking. This reduces the amount of edge chafing on the belt if everything is aligned properly.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post