DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster rear end fluid, How much ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster rear end fluid, How much ???
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Have a older Racecraft dragster with Fab rear housing, How much fluild ?? Thanks jjj

Posts: 188 | Location: WI 53511 | Registered: October 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
2 quarts is more than enough

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I ran 2 quarts in the Racecafts I had and I think if I remember right it did not come up in to the plug hole on the side of the center section. That being said as 1320racer stated 2 quarts is plenty and I agree as I never had issues and I have had several of those cars and lots of passes.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
I have always been a guy that has ran 2 qts in a fab housing. I just recently had my 3rd member set up by Indy Gear, with all the bells and whistles and they want 3 qts in them. I spent a lot of money to make this a fast 3rd member, and was skeptical, but when they said all the pro stock and pro mod guys use 3, I decided to do the same. Take this for what its worth.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 704 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I fill mine to the brim, I think it's a hair over 2.5 to fill it. I changed the gear so many times in order to dip in the 5's recycling the oil into a clean pan, it's probably down to 2.25, because you lose a little each time you change the gear.

Less oil is definitely faster conventional parts, if you go ceramic bearing lightweight high dollar approaching Dewco caliber, I'd have it full to the brim too, it's gonna be faster than anything conventional with next to no gear oil.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mike Reitow, Yes I go with that theory as a little less fluid less windage. I have set up 12 bolt rears, 10 bolt rears, Dana 60, and 9" Ford rears, except for when one would break or just wear out no problem with starvation on oil. BUT being younger back in time I needed a tenth as hot weather was here and for a weekend of super comp put dexron red automatic fluid in a 12 bolt rear. Pulled the cover to drain out after the weekend no problem but the ring gear looked like I polished it and same with the pinion. Put cover back on filled it with rear end fluid 2 more seasons changed gear only to change ratios.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
I've never ran more than 1-1/2 quarts in a 9" Ford on the track.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for the lnput guys. jjj

Posts: 188 | Location: WI 53511 | Registered: October 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Apples and oranges but I always ran 2 qts with the bracket car and never had any problems. Put the same amount in with the blown TD and smoked the gears in about 150 runs due to lack of lubrication according to my builder. He said that I need to treat it same as a TAD and fill to the side plug and to run Torco 250wt same as a TAD does or plan on replacing gears on a regular bases.
He made a good point when he said my car will run well under the 6.10 index so whats the point of a few hun running it with only 2qts. Made sense to me.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Per Mark Williams instructions:4qts. in a fab9,3 min. in a Strange style(factory) housing.I ruined a new gear in 28 passes with 2qts.and yes it was set-up perfect.

Posts: 106 | Location: Indy | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Sent both my MW Pro Stock aluminum 3rd members back to Mark Williams for new gears/rebuild at the end of the 2019 season. They told me the gears looked almost new and in fact sent me the gears back for spares and all I’ve ever run is 2 quarts of Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic gear oil. Oh and both units had over 700 passes on them. I’ll keep doing what I know works.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
In the bracket dragster I ran the same 430 gears set up by MW for 4 years, just guessing maybe 800 runs while only running 2qts of Redline 70-90 shockproof changing oil every season and gears and bearing were perfect when I sold the center section. This was behind a 1000hp 565
Put 2500 hp in front of the new 370 center also bought new direct from MW running the same 2 qts of 70-90 Shockproof and killed them in 150 or so runs.

Point is HP plays a part is this

Posts: 2420 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Agreed

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If you wanna eliminate variables, fill it to the brim.

If you don't fill it to the brim and it gets the gear, you will with the next gear.

There's many variables, what works for one guy may not for you.

Like I said I always fill mine to the brim, it's a hair below now but I can still see it, when I use a small screwdriver as a dipstick.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I will add that after I killed the gears I stepped up to a 9.5 gear