DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Filled block with methanol, brackets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Filled block with methanol, brackets?
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
I ended up with cracks radiating from the head bolt holes toward the #7 cylinder on the deck. I think we were not careful tightening the stud nuts, and we ended up bottoming the stud on the shoulder. I should throw a bb in the bottom of each hole and bottom the stud on it since the dart little m has blind holes. I didn't. And I haven't seen many with a good fix for this.

So my question is: Could a solution be filling the block? Is this workable with a bracket car that drives back and has quick turn arounds? Can you fill that high? If so, how do you circulate water in the heads? All these years of racing and I have no experience with block filling.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Oh, I don't see that the cracks have made it to the cylinder. But there is a track on the gasket where the crack is. So I'm not entirely sure where the water is getting in. Will have to crack check when it is apart. But will a sleeve for sure fix it if we leave the deck crack near the bolt hole?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a Chevy gen 6 block that that happened to but crack went to the cylinder. My shop put a sleeve in it and then a time cert I believe it was called into the threaded hole. I haven’t run that motor yet but he says he repaired a couple that way without issue.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
If you decide to fill it you might ask Dart how to do it right. I filled a Gen IV BB years ago. Everyone used to fill to the bottom of the water pump holes so that's what I did. I didn't take into account the blind head bolt holes extend pretty far into the jacket. It caused heat problems due to the poor water circulation. It also caused overheating of the oil.That motor lasted one season. Oops

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It's a stock block with hair cracks around the head bolts weeping water onto the deck?

What is pouring the block gonna help? it's not.

Drain all the water, pull the radiator, water pump cooling system accessories off the car and run it no water, or buy a new aftermarket block.

I know several people on methanol , no water.

What do you need water for?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The way I read it the block is a Dart Little M.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Says it is a Dart Little M block with blind holes.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4011 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't know much about filling so glad I asked. The fill wouldn't reach the deck area where the crack is, so wouldn't help any here.
However, is there even water where that crack is? There seems to be differing opinions. Maybe this isn't where the water is coming from. I glanced at the head, but maybe I need to look again.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo