DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    any body have problems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

any body have problems
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
has any one out there had or heard of problems with a MSD 6al-2 ignition box? if so what issues are you seeing.

ep-mine is giving me the weinner

Posts: 761 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2453 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
With any ignition, make sure you wire the box straight to the battery (pos. to master switch) with the wire size specified in the instructions. Also, make sure you have excellent splices and connections - solder is very highly recommended. Don't cheat and ground to frame or connect hot to the back of the alternator, etc. Yes, you will probably have to run a pair of 10 gauge wires to the back of the car. Just do it. It will prevent a lot of hassle later.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It started out fine. then developed hard starting like timing is high. now have a miss starting at about 6k down track. leaves good and then misses starting at 6k and will not make 7k shift point.
Changing to programmable 6al2 and was planning on wiring as brktracer suggested.

nothing has changed in my car except ignition box about a year ago when my analog 6al took a dump. just been looking for suggestions and help.

ep

Posts: 761 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed, if you have a spare coil try switching.

Simple stuff to check. Remove the distributor cap but leave all the wires on cap to include coil wire. With a multimeter, meter from the end of the wire to the inside of the cap. Check for the cap carbon ball to be present inside of the cap that makes contact with the rotor tang. Seen these disappear along with rotor tang not making proper contact with ball. Remove the rotor and look at the bottom side and check that the riveted connection is not arching.

Posts: 2453 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I checked all of my wires. Found coil wire with a lot of resistance. Hope it helps. Thanks for the idea.

Posts: 73 | Location: sand point, mi | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
just an update for anyone interested. replaced the 6al-2 box with a programmable 6al-2 and resolved all issues. cranks like it should and runs like it should. don't know if something regarding the rpm dial switches in the 6al-2 was giving me the wienny.

Thanks to all who commented and helped.

ep