DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Perfect Scaling a car?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perfect Scaling a car?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted
Lets use a BBC steel head Nova,No fiberglass anywhere . Like mine. Weighs 3,750 with no Nos bottles. Me in it. If I scaled it what would be perfect? Has 10.5/28 tires with Caltracs.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My Chevelle weighed 3880 lbs., all steel with a cast iron headed BBC. Ran on 30/10.5 tires with a bolt on suspension. It's front to rear weight bias was 59%/41% or 2289 on the front tires and 1590 on the rear tires. Don't know if I still have the actual corner weighs but it was ~ 50 lbs. heavier on the passenger rear tire compared to the driver's rear tire and about the same heavier on the driver's front tire compared to the passenger front tire. Perfect scaled? You tell me. Big Grin

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Lets use a BBC steel head Nova,No fiberglass anywhere . Like mine. Weighs 3,750 with no Nos bottles. Me in it. If I scaled it what would be perfect? Has 10.5/28 tires with Caltracs.

Perfect as far as what? front to rear weight percentage or individual corner weights, or?

Some cars scale better than others, but alot of the times it depends on what your trying to accomplish.

Some cars just won't scale at all no matter what you try, for example a ladder bar car with a very heavy driver.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:

I Super Pro raced my 1969 10" tire steel headed BBC 427 & 454 with 375 lbs of ballast in the trunk on a bar that ran between the two bars through the speaker deck into the trunk to make it 50/50.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
Never had mine on 4 corners but I know it's nose heavy even with fiberglass parts and aluminum heads. With good track prep, I've still had it on the back bumper a couple of times.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
1.27 60 ft home brew N/A 23 sbc and powerglide trans, off the trailer first round no time run 51% nose 3250 lbs 10 x 28 bias M/T.

I'm pretty sure none like it all steel w/ triple chrome plated steel bumpers have been quicker than 1.27 60 ft.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
As was said every car is different. All steel car with a big block is going to be a bit nose heavy.

Our 64 Polara is 3250 w/o driver. It scales at 1750 front 1500 rear. It is slightly altered wheelbase as was done with a lot of those cars back in the day.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I want the best traction I can get at the slipperiest track conditions. What happens if it is 40% front and 60% rear? I do not know much about this subject.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
I want the best traction I can get at the slipperiest track conditions. What happens if it is 40% front and 60% rear? I do not know much about this subject.

Sounds like your wanting to go street racing.

These cars will often carry 300+ lbs in the back to get the rear percentage 55-60%.

But if your track racing and want to make sure you can get down marginal tracks then have alot of front end travel (5" is a good starting point) along with a good adjustable shock. Sure you can run some ballast in the back, but no sense getting crazy with a huge rear weight percentage.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <DOTracer>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
No track racing only. Smile

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Front end travel biggest gain in traction but it has to at least inital hook to get it to transfer. Then weight. If thats not possibile then Davis Traction Control and let it eat.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
CT, rpm based, no external sensors.

Posts: 522 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You can often get more weight on the rear tires than the car actually weighs. Chassis and suspension setup is where it's at. Many place a lot of emphasis on "scaling" the car but IMO, that is done to establish a baseline after you get the chassis to work like you want it, so you know where you are at in case you make a change that the car (or you) don't like. Speaking of street racing, anybody seen the suspension setup on a high end "no prep" car? The shocks alone....cost more than my entire racing operation.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post