DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Can you run on 7 cylinders?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you run on 7 cylinders?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I know this sounds crazy but I have a son that is learning to drive. He has ran 10.75 before in his sisters truck but she’s going to want to run also. My car runs 9.60s but I can’t have him running that fast. I was watching Engine Masters the other day and they built a 200mph engine they they planed to set some records with and for one record they planed to disable a cylinder to run in a smaller cubic inch class too. I’m not sure how they planed to do that but it got me thinking. Can I just pull the wire off the number#1 cylinder without hurting anything. I know it will file the plug but I can swap it out later.

Posts: 32 | Location: Zachary | Registered: November 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
Pulling the wire would not be good, the spark is going to go somewhere. I would ground the electrode on the plug instead. That being said, I would lengthen the throttle cable so the blades only open about 30%, if i wanted to train someone to drive.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
consider a small two-barrel carb or disconnect the secondary on a small four-barrel

I think running with a dead cylinder has potential problems like fuel dilution and inconsistency

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
AHH NO...

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
consider a small two-barrel carb or disconnect the secondary on a small four-barrel

I think running with a dead cylinder has potential problems like fuel dilution and inconsistency

I ran a two barrel with my little girl when she was learning to race but the car has a 4500 flange carb so I’m limited to what I can put on it. My try to disconnect the back barrels. I hate to do that because the extra vacuum pulls more fuel so you have to drop the jets a good bit

Posts: 32 | Location: Zachary | Registered: November 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Disconnect the secondary. Will need to lower shift rpm appropriately. It should slow down about .5

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Fatboy,

just a suggestion, use a 1/2" thick aluminum plate to adapt a two-barrel to the 4500 flange.

Even have a local water jet cutting shop build it for you.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Put a mechanical throttle stop on it - it's just a piece that mounts off the carb flange and allows you to manually adjust how far the carb can open.

Jegs has them, about $32 - 710-65042 is the part number.

Reducing the timing will take power out of it too.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chasracer:
Put a mechanical throttle stop on it - it's just a piece that mounts off the carb flange and allows you to manually adjust how far the carb can open.

Jegs has them, about $32 - 710-65042 is the part number.

Reducing the timing will take power out of it too.

I never knew they sold these! Thanks guy!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I redid a bunch of stuff on my dragster one winter. Ran 5.18 when I parked it, 5.65 when I brought it back out. Couldn’t figure it out so raced it anyway. Did pretty good as it was printing tickets.

After I lost I started checking everything again to find the missing 1/2 second. Turned out I had landed an intake pushrod (#4 I think) on the lifter valley instead of in the lifter. Stud rockers obviously.

I’m not sure how long you could do that before it would hurt a lifter somehow but it made it ~6 passes just fine that day.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fatboy81:

I hate to do that because the extra vacuum pulls more fuel so you have to drop the jets a good bit

On the dyno I tune all 4 barrel carbs 2 barrels at a time and have NEVER seen this.

Joe

Edit: I don't tune blow-thru turbocharged 4 barrels on 2 barrels.

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Pull some timing out and limit throttle travel.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 484 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Or get an Edelbrock # 8716 adapter, to mount a 4150 style carb on a Dominator intake. Under $70.
I did that, and used an 850, didn't kill as much as I hoped. But a 750 sure will!

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
tight converter and secondary's discounted will slow it down a lot. that's how I started.

Posts: 102 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
On the Bonneville motor they would also have to remove the push rods and rockers on the disabled cylinder.
I recommend limiting the throttle travel, reduce the timing and short shifting. Going to be easier to switch back when you need to.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 235 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Gotcha! Thanks for all the help!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Just run the car in high gear only. Had two grandkids that went from Jr Dragster to blown alcohol dragster. Just used high gear only until they got caught up,.....which didn't really take very long.

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
On my camaro, i short shifted from 7k to 5500, and disconnected the secondaries on my 750 holley, and it killed .75 seconds in the 1/4.. we used to run it in. Street 13.00 limit and modified. Worked well

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 67 Goat
posted Hide Post
Do not run any engine on 7 cylinders, it will run terrible, not be consistent, and can possibly do damage.

Posts: 18 | Location: Delray Beach, FL | Registered: May 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post