DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    old style edelbrock tarantula tm2r manifold
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

old style edelbrock tarantula tm2r manifold
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Is this manifold a good or bad choice for big block chevy using a trans brake?

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 50fordsst:
Is this manifold a good or bad choice for big block chevy using a trans brake?

I had a Scorpion on a 355 back in the day, I drove to work. Tarantula & Scorpion were early development for what we see today, Victor.

I wouldn't be afraid to run it. Clean it all up and powder coat or polish it, it'll be different.
Port it too.

5500 converter minimum be fine I would think.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike for input. Should have mentioned that 2" throttle stop will be used.

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Mike for input. Should have mentioned that 2" throttle stop will be used.

5500 to probably 7200 rpm, those intakes work relatively good out the box.

Throttle stop, I'm sure you're planning 5500 plus converter right?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
yes

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
yes

Should be fine, the old intakes like that, lacked in the mid range. Ya never know, it might be the hot ticket easy on the tire, when it comes off the stop.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Who knows, you might be the one who starts a Tarantula intake revolution, in throttle stop racing.

That would be kinda cool.

You never wanna be afraid to take a different approach.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thats some funny stuff right there. At one time I changed from a Dart bbc manifold to a Weiand I think accelerator to gain clearance. That low rise suprised me and was just fine. Little slower,not much but no problem repeating no's. Heck I think we used the trantula manafolds in the late 70's in to the 80's and had no problem getting RPM even with L88 solid lifter cams.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I've got both an original (canted base) oval port Torker and an original oval port Tarantula manifold on the shelf. Just in case some sort of nostalgia craze lets loose, I'm here to help! Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for every ones input. Still wondering what might happen with a 5500 converter and 950 demon. Will it reach rpm on brake over a eddy jr. or other new style open plenum.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
You'll have ZERO problems using that intake.

They were used on everything back in the 1980's...

S/G, brackets....trans brake, footbrake 427, 454, 482

Very sharp throttle response and low to mid range and right to 7000+ and worked well on heavier cars

To work best they got a ton of work for a Super Stocker......Welding and grinding in the plenum and to straighten the sharp turns where the intake meets the heads but it's not a must...

Once the larger intakes came along they fell out of favor.....The bigger intakes made a lot more power on higher rpm engines like in Super Stock....

I never ran one but many people did......

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post