DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Unsprung rotational weight removal et gains
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unsprung rotational weight removal et gains
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted
Any real world info on unsprung rotational weight removal et gains from lighter wheel and tire combinations ?

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
im going to find out here soon...I put a new center section in with aluminum spool that saved me 3.6lbs...2 new delta 1 beadlocks which are 7.6 lbs lighter than my mt pro 5...and 2 new axles which are 3lbs lighter than my old mosers and a new billet bolt together converter which takes 6.4lbs off the flywheel.

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I see the wheels as being your biggest gain. Rotational weight removal had bigger effect the further it is fro center. Converter would be great since its weight straight off crank. Axles I do not see gain of anything other than just weight and about the same with spool.

That said I would spend money first on rotational weight removal before any other kind of saving.

Old rule of thumb was 1 lb rotating = 10 non rotating. Have never found that to be true. If so Jenavet shuold drop .2 in 1/4. I figure if he drops .05 he will be doing good.

Keep us posted.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
with a 100lb plus drop in unsprung i saw a solid tenth and took .27 ratio of gear out of the rear end at the same time in a gear change . everything in the rear housing is as light as it can get too . i am thinking I can take 7lbs plus per axle for a total of 14lbs plus of rotating weight in wheels and tires and go from a 110 rollout to a 106 or from a 34.5 tire to a 33.5 . be intresting to see lol . jenny I did the center and axles before the car diet plan and saw very little

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
in my case my center section was 5 years old,my axles where 12 years old and my wheels where 10 years old....so they needed updating no matter what

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post