DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    RPM Activated Switch
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RPM Activated Switch
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
Of course this could vary depending on where you set your shift time, but I always figured that if you are shifting on time and the weather got worse, when the car shifts at the same time you are now at a lower RPM and making that run even slower than it had to be.

If the weather improves, now the RPM is higher at a given time on track and so the run got quicker both because of the weather and the shift point.

Seems like it would make the swings wider unless the baseline shift point was a little higher than optimal, RPM-wise.

If the car is shifting on time near the ideal RPM going higher RPM with better weather may do the opposite. Going past ideal shift point will likely slow the car not gain. Time is easy to control, and can be used to slow the car if need be by shifting early.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-830453

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:

JUNK!

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmarkaudio:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
Of course this could vary depending on where you set your shift time, but I always figured that if you are shifting on time and the weather got worse, when the car shifts at the same time you are now at a lower RPM and making that run even slower than it had to be.

If the weather improves, now the RPM is higher at a given time on track and so the run got quicker both because of the weather and the shift point.

Seems like it would make the swings wider unless the baseline shift point was a little higher than optimal, RPM-wise.

If the car is shifting on time near the ideal RPM going higher RPM with better weather may do the opposite. Going past ideal shift point will likely slow the car not gain. Time is easy to control, and can be used to slow the car if need be by shifting early.

Yes, that’s why I added the caveat to the beginning of my post. I’ve never shifted on time and don’t have a data logger anyway, so I don’t have a feel for how much the shift RPM would tend to vary over a day, weekend, or season when shifting at the same time after transbrake release.

Even doing a decent amount of throttle stop racing, I prefer RPM.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3161 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:

JUNK!

^^^^^^^ X2.... Chinese Junk ……

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Once I get the Lamplighter on track, I will have valid data provided by Racepac. I will experiment with both methods and relay the results.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1834 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Using Grid, I’ve had mine shifting on both Time and RPM together many times experimenting with the results. I’d set them up to initially activate at the same time and then review the results at the end of the day. Switch them around one leading the other.

The last 5 years I’ve had the RPM leading the Time by 0.10 – 0.20 and use it to catch a missed shift if I wopped early just prior to the RPM shift that came almost 5 seconds after launch.

I’ve recently switched gearing that moved the shift to 3 seconds after launch and am only using the RPM output to shift with.

Having the ability to use either RPM or Time to shift with is a nice option.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
My old Horton is still around and still has that $50 ultra reliable rpm switch from Summit Racing. Ohh all your TV’s, Computers are made in China. Toss them in the garbage now. Don’t be a hypocrite

4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
JUNK!

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
My old Horton is still around and still has that $50 ultra reliable rpm switch from Summit Racing. Ohh all your TV’s, Computers are made in China. Toss them in the garbage now. Don’t be a hypocrite

I just recycled an 8 yr old Vizio TV for failed audio that sat in a spare bedroom for company and probably didn’t have 100 hrs of actual viewing time.

I assembled this desktop that I’m presently using 6 yrs ago and the Asus MB failed less than 1 month after the build and was replaced under warranty.

I agree ones choice of country to purchase from is limited in electronics. Unlike the device link you posted, I believe the higher quality programmable RPM activated switches are not made in China.

Perhaps you could share with us the logged repeatable RPM activation accuracy of this product. Thought you were using MSD 7530T ignition for this task……..

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
I was just sharing a lower cost option, not having a clue what the OP’s budget was. My M&M used the MSD Digital 7 and or the Digital Delay box for the 1-2 shift. I had used that Summit house brand switch in 1999 with an analog MSD 7AL. Worked well for over a decade.

4.629@149
7.310@185

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I like to keep it simple and would not have a problem with that Summit switch. Nothing wrong with those others if you want to use them. Sure they will work fine to.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
It appears Bender got the recommendations he was looking for. Mark W. took the thread in a different and interesting direction, and it is really something that is worthy of it's own discussion, (Shifting on Time vs RPM - Although it may have been discussed on here before). Steve, Tony, Larry & others then brought up some good and interesting points on that topic for consideration. I will look forward to any data that Larry or others can share on comparison testing/data using both methods. About 10-15 or so years ago, Luke Bogacki used to publish an occasional article on his Big $$ bracket racing exploits. He usually included some tech tips, and one of them was to shift on time, rather than RPM. His logic was similar to what Steve said, IIRC his thought was if you spun early in a run, you already slowed, and that an earlier shift in the run would result, (based on the spike in RPM due to slippage), which would cause a further slowing because the fallback RPM would be lower. So he proposed that shifting on time would assume the tires would haze then regain grip, the car would still have been accelerating, (though not at the planned rate), and the time-based shift would not hurt your run as badly. But as some pointed out above, the effect of all this depends on a lot of variables, like shift point relative to power curve, etc. This subject could get deep, and be a fun bench racing topic. Like many factors in our sport, if done the right way could pull a W out of an L, (or you could over-think things and find another way to turn a Win light into a yellow slip). Big Grin

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post