DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    MT Pro Bracket Radial
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MT Pro Bracket Radial
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted
I finally decided to pick up a set of the MT pro bracket radials. I will be running the MT3362R = 29.5/10.5R15 Pro Bracket Radial. They are actually a little bit cheaper then the current Hoosier Radial that I run. I currently run the Hoosier 18215.

Curious to see what experiences people are having.

They are about 7 pounds heavier per tire, so I expect to lose some et.

If I can get double the runs out of them, it would definitely be worth it. I swapped out the Hoosiers at about 100 runs. I hear people saying they are getting 200+ runs out of them which would half my tire cost for the year.

Plan on starting with the same tire pressure as my hoosiers which is 18.5.

My other question is how much difference does rim width make? Current rims are 8 inches and was wondering if a 9 or 10 inch rim would be worth exploring.

Section width on the 8 inch rim is about a 1/4 narrower then the hoosier.

I never balanced the Hoosiers and never had problems with vibration, what everyone doing with the MTs?

Thanks in advance

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I question your process if you are only getting 100 runs from the Hoosiers.

Even on my 9" radials, the footprint is way more even with my 10" rims than my 8" rims.

Why haven't you been balancing your tires? I guess it wouldn't even occur to me to try it.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
How many laps are you getting on yours?

I could probably go 120-130, but I have been bite before trying to get every last lap out of them.

The balancing thing carries over from when I ran bias ply slicks. Was also told that balancing was a waste of time and never had an issue with vibration. I never did it with the radials.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
worked really good on my 3200 lbs nova with a 598. Ran 5.50's. Was getting about 80 to 100 runs. I ran them on 12" wide rim and did real burn outs on them, also we ran about 12-13 psi. Everyone's setup is different so by no means am i telling you to do what i did, just sharing my experience with them.

Posts: 370 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I ran the same size on a 10" rim with 18-20PSI. They worked on a good track and were quicker and faster than bias. I don't race on good tracks all of the time so I went back to bias.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
We made the switch a few seasons back and have been very happy. We run a 10" rim and have gone well past 200 runs but I feel guilty going more than that lol

You'll be happy, better in every way than the Hoosiers we used to run. Little to no burnout required, so if you like doing big burnouts they may not be your tire. We balance all our tires, so cant help ya there, they don't leak either. Can count on one hand how many times the car has spun the tire in 3+ years going 9.60's - 9.80's.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:

If I can get double the runs out of them, it would definitely be worth it. I swapped out the Hoosiers at about 100 runs. I hear people saying they are getting 200+ runs out of them which would half my tire cost for the year.

My other question is how much difference does rim width make? Current rims are 8 inches and was wondering if a 9 or 10 inch rim would be worth exploring.

Thanks in advance

I saw this post after my PM to you. I run my 29.5/10.5 PBRs on a 9 " wide rim. I would prefer it on a 10" wide rim, but don't think it would fit the car. I run them at 18 lbs. of pressure.

As for the Hoosier radials. I was running the light weights and getting an easy 150 runs out of them.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2498 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I run the same size PBR on an 8” wheel.
3700 pound chevelle running electronics, 6.60s-6.70s off the transbrake.
I run 17-18 pounds of air (they don’t leak). Mine are just bubble balanced- this is the third set and haven’t had the slightest issue. I do a very light burnout, just roll thru water, set line lock, buzz it up to 6500, shift and let go of the line lock at the same time, then power out a couple feet.
I’ve got over 200 passes on mine now, they look like I can get another 50-60.
My car actually picked up over bias, around .04-.06. It’s the hardest hitting tire I’ve ever used. Fantastic top end stability.
Only time mine has spun was when some idiot leaked crap in front of me. Hot, cold, they just work. The harder you can hit them, the more they like it.
That’s the ONLY tire I will run!!

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
I ordered a cheap 10 inch steel wheel so I can see if I have the clearance. Visually it looks like I will be fine, but would hate to spend a bunch of money on new rims for them not to work.

I may pick up one of those bubble balancers from harbor freight.

Thanks for all the input. I will report back after I run them.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ordered a cheap 10 inch steel wheel so I can see if I have the clearance. Visually it looks like I will be fine, but would hate to spend a bunch of money on new rims for them not to work.

I may pick up one of those bubble balancers from harbor freight.

Thanks for all the input. I will report back after I run them.

Don’t be worried about the 8” wheel- I know several, including myself, that have had excellent results with an 8” wheel. I was going to put 10” wheels on mine but as good as it is on 8” wheels, honestly, to me it was kind of a waste of money.
28x10.5 PBR, on the other hand, was junk on a 8” wheel on my car. Go figure.

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
I switched from the 315 Pro to the 10.5 x 29.5 PBR this season. 12" wheel, 16 psi air pressure. It's been a good tire, just miss the width of the 315 Pro for visual reasons.

3085 lbs, 1.18 to 1.19 60' with the engine detuned for 8.50 index.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Steve from Pa
posted Hide Post
we have been running the M/T PBDR for several years now and love them. Wear is amazing. We ran a set of 28x9 for two years double classed on a slow 11.90 car with a glide so it left real easy. I knew we were pushing them so I kept an eye on them the last race of the year when we loaded it up you could see the cords showing up through the rubber. This was approx 422 passes plus or minus.

Most important, keep the shiny side up

Posts: 798 | Location: Punxsutawney, Pa USA | Registered: February 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I finally decided to pick up a set of the MT pro bracket radials. I will be running the MT3362R = 29.5/10.5R15 Pro Bracket Radial. They are actually a little bit cheaper then the current Hoosier Radial that I run. I currently run the Hoosier 18215.

Curious to see what experiences people are having.

They are about 7 pounds heavier per tire, so I expect to lose some et.

Plan on starting with the same tire pressure as my hoosiers which is 18.5.

Section width on the 8 inch rim is about a 1/4 narrower then the hoosier.

I never balanced the Hoosiers and never had problems with vibration, what everyone doing with the MTs?

Thanks in advance

I’m curious to hear your results on amount of runs with the PBR’s as I’ve made the same decision based on a lot of your comments above

Posts: 115 | Location: 2008 IHRA SSS No Box WC | Registered: June 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
I put 11 passes on my pro bracket and I pretty happy with them. So far consistancy was equal to the Hoosier radials. Got down to 3 cars before I choked on the tree. Car slowed .05 and 1 mph, not to bad considering each tire weighs 7 pounds more.

Time to just start logging laps, 200 laps on these tires will more than half my tire cost for the year. The pro bracket radials were about 50 bucks cheaper, and they ship to my house. So far there is no downside to switching!

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I put 11 passes on my pro bracket and I pretty happy with them. So far consistancy was equal to the Hoosier radials. Got down to 3 cars before I choked on the tree. Car slowed .05 and 1 mph, not to bad considering each tire weighs 7 pounds more.

Time to just start logging laps, 200 laps on these tires will more than half my tire cost for the year. The pro bracket radials were about 50 bucks cheaper, and they ship to my house. So far there is no downside to switching!

Thanks for the update!

I'll be getting more passes on our PBRs for our Las Vegas Bracket Nationals. It will be a test of how they work or do not work. The track will be cold & it's generally not good weather conditions to race.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2498 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Wanted to put an update out there about the MT pro-bracket radials.

I have 175 passes on them and still no sign of them letting up or going away.

They like about 17.5 psi on my car. Buddy of mine pointed out to me I was still doing to much of a burnout. I am amazed how little of a burnout they require especially in the heat.

I am very happy with them and I will be putting another set on my car.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Glad it is working out for you. Did you end up with a 10 inch rim or keep the 8 inch?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3970 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
I kept the 8 inch rims

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I put 19 runs on the 28x9 PBR's, now I'm about 15 runs into the 29.5x10.5's, on 8" wheels.
I'm happy with them, Goodyear screwed up when they sent me a bogus set of 9x30's a few years ago.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1606 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
it's amazing that they require so little a burnout !!
We go 250+ and change them out of guilt Smile

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post