DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Valve spring life
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Valve spring life
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I had 2 that came in high, not low. If they would have been low I would have called Manley. I always have a couple spare springs so I put in my spares in and made the ones that came in high my spares. I don’t think it would have hurt anything to use them but I also have no need for 330 lbs of seat pressure.

Posts: 3 | Location: Oronoco, MN | Registered: March 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
I remember testing some springs once and kept coming up low. That is when I realized the retainer had about a .100 step for the inner spring that I was not accounting for. By checking the pressure of the inner spring at 1.900 instead of 2.000 that added at least another 20 or so pounds to the total reading. I guess I could have just put both springs and retainer all together and checked it that way, but I didn't have a retainer at the shop when I was doing this.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I always check the springs with the retainer on them.

Just use a caliper to measure the retainers thickness and add it to the height I check them at.

I have a Rimac bench top spring tester....

I also always compress every new spring to bind 3-4 times before installing them...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yes, I check them with the titanium retainer on my rimac tester also, I don't twist it past 7k and I run a small 740 lift cam with 287/294 adv duration. I only run SC so faster is just more stop time. I used to run the 221424 but now the 221425, just .100 longer installed height but did it to eliminate shims for depth of pockets. Open pressure with my cam almost the same and just slightly more seat pressure. I think if it was me I would go to a longer valve and spring, and pushrods to lessen where coil bind is in relation to cam lift or at least on the intakes. What does cam manufacturer want for a spring with that lift? If you put the intakes in at 2.00 installed that leaves .080 " from coil bind(1.070) not enough, too much compression of spring. The exh have over .100 more than intakes thats why they are not breaking.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chris701,

Posts: 30 | Location: Delaware | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post