DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Spinwerks beadlocks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spinwerks beadlocks
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted
Ive read the two issues of spinwerks wheel centers breaking. Can you replace the centers with weld centers? Same bolt pattern it appears. Anyone done it? Looks like $600 for centers and bolts for both. I havent seen a history of breaking just the few ive read on here and i havent even seen clear pictures.

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I replaced the centers on my Spinwerks. Mine were not cracked with many runs. I got Weld centers from Richardson Boyz.

I'm pretty sure the Weld centers don't just bolt in the OD has to be turned down a bit.

Also, IIRC the new centers bolt from the back while the originals bolt from the front. Scratched my head on that for a while.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ballz
posted Hide Post
yes, Weld centers fit after turning them down just a bit as Greg said...

Posts: 313 | Location: west palm beach, fla. usa | Registered: June 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
So what is the issue then? Is it incorrect bolts used, bad design pattern, manufacturing defect? There isnt alot of meat on the centers anyhow and ive heard welds break too. Where are they breaking

Ryan Fasano

Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
http://dragracecanada.com/cayu...ghriders/#more-27303

I believe Steve’s car in this article was on Spin Werks, but I do not know 100% for sure so I greatly apologize if I am wrong

From pictures I have seen the bolts stay intact and the wheel center rips around them as the wheel comes off

Posts: 788 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
Ive read that before. It only states the wheel broke, no pictures or details to see really.

Ryan Fasano

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I was there at that race,steves spinwerk wheel broke off and he t boned the car in the other lane.if you need to talk to him about it pm me and I will get you his contact info

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Curiously why would anyone want any part of a spinworkes if they break lol

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The centers are the issue, the rest of the wheel is OK, replace the centers with Weld centers and yes a little machining is required but its not a big deal.

The other issue with this wheel is when the centers crack, it's really tough to see the cracks unless the wheel is warm after a run! (At least in my buddy's case, he was testing and was going to make two quick runs, set the tire pressure on the first then doing so on the next he saw the crack which had opened up due to the heat in the wheel. It was clear they were cracked prior to the first run also!)

I have no idea why these wheels have not been recalled! If you have them, fix them and or they will bite you or the racer in the other lane.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Spray on dye/crack check for aluminum would show up cracks.....

I pulled my Weld centers out last year to repaint them...a waste of time really....they get covered with brake dust.

They were powder coated to match the frame originally...…

New they sell for over $200 each if I recall right....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine bought a set center from Larry Hodges that were made to fit the spin works wheels, bolted right in.

Posts: 24 | Location: Peterman, AL | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
call Sander Engineering, less than $300/pair for SFI rated replacements very helpful too,
Found cracks in ours after steve's crash and brought it to the attention of 2 others that found cracks also.
http://www.sanderengineering.com/dragwheels.html

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 82 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ballz
posted Hide Post
TOP38 Knows

Posts: 313 | Location: west palm beach, fla. usa | Registered: June 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post