DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Low Oil Pressure Warning Light
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low Oil Pressure Warning Light
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:

The best steel pan for holding Oil pressure on a fast car with a BB chev was a Milodon....IIRC..

I thought the Moroso's would be good but my LOP light said NOPE.....

Interesting you’re seeing that with the moroso pan. I have the 21049 on 2 engines and oil pressure in the shut down area is good with them, stays above 40 usually. We did measure the clearance from the pickup to the pan and had to add a spacer to the moroso billet pump to get the pickup screen closer to the bottom of the pan. We put 7 quarts in the pan and fill the filter.

The other engine has an aluminum stefs pan. That holds 6 quarts and it has always had poor oil pressure in the shutdown area. Usually goes down to 10 or 20. If it goes down to zero I can add about half a quart and make it better. But that pan is very sensitive to oil level, a half quart too much and it slows up about .04 and 2 mph.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Jamie I only saw it on one 1/4 mile run at MG

I made maybe 25-30 runs last year at most...

Island 1000' bracket racing
Atco S/C
MG S/C

And the light was barely coming on....flickering....

Switch is a 15lb mounted in the back of the Dart block....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Like I wrote prior, I use an adjustable oil pressure switch set to 40 psi and it activates a large bright yellow shift light that is on the dash right above the top of the steering wheel in my line of sight while racing. Can’t miss it.

I’ve had this shift light go On 3 seconds into a 1/8 mile run with a pump pickup failure. Stopped the engine and no harm done.

I’m removing that shift light warning system and installing a Holley 6.86 Pro Dash this spring and programming the entire dash to flash bright red with the message “LOW OIL PRESSURE” if oil under 40 psi. I’m also going to program to turn off engine if Low Oil Pressure ON for more than 1.5 seconds.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Holy Milivolts Batman!!!!!

731 views on our way to 740 Views! About just another "RED" warning light!!!

For details see either of the pages.

Disclaimer:
Anyone easily offended.......relax....it is all in good fun. I got some bad news and I gotta find some humor in life today.

Remember folks.....its is all temporary........ALL OF IT! Enjoy the ride!!! There will be a last burnout, pass, unload, win, loss all the best and worst.....respect the blessing of everything! Be humbled by it, reflect on how privileged you are to get out of bed in the morning and participate in life.

And Thanks again, I got a plan!! Gonna go with relatively high setting 40 psi. If its under that I want to be checking the gauge.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
quote:
And Thanks again, I got a plan!! Gonna go with relatively high setting 40 psi. If its under that I want to be checking the gauge.

Wise choice....go as high as you can even if it blinks while idling!

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
racepak dash Wink

Posts: 1438 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
I got some bad news and I gotta find some humor in life today.

Remember folks.....its is all temporary........ALL OF IT! Enjoy the ride!!! There will be a last burnout, pass, unload, win, loss all the best and worst.....respect the blessing of everything! Be humbled by it, reflect on how privileged you are to get out of bed in the morning and participate in life.

BG, thanks for the reminder about keeping things in perspective. Sending you good wishes for whatever challenges you are facing. Wink
I had my 2nd surgery for skin cancer a month ago, (different type, different place). My left ear now looks like I fought Mike Tyson. Big Grin
But I am glad it was caught early, and actually looking forward to finding out how much it will hurt to put on a helmet this Spring. Smile
(Guys, get yourselves checked over. My dermatologist who caught the previous cancer on my lip spotted this area on the rear part of my earlobe. No discoloration, nothing I could feel or see. But to her, it had a slight "waxy" appearance. A biopsy proved her right). Skin cancer is by far the most treatable variety IF CAUGHT EARLY. Our sport puts us in the strongest rays of the sun for hours on a typical race weekend. Like most, I have worn baseball-type hats for decades. I am now looking for something with a 360* brim on it.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
I got some bad news and I gotta find some humor in life today.

BG, thanks for the reminder about keeping things in perspective. Sending you good wishes for whatever challenges you are facing. Wink
I had my 2nd surgery for skin cancer a month ago, (different type, different place). My left ear now looks like I fought Mike Tyson. Big Grin
But I am glad it was caught early, and actually looking forward to finding out how much it will hurt to put on a helmet this Spring. Smile
(Guys, get yourselves checked over. My dermatologist who caught the previous cancer on my lip spotted this area on the rear part of my earlobe. No discoloration, nothing I could feel or see. But to her, it had a slight "waxy" appearance. A biopsy proved her right). Skin cancer is by far the most treatable variety IF CAUGHT EARLY. Our sport puts us in the strongest rays of the sun for hours on a typical race weekend. Like most, I have worn baseball-type hats for decades. I am now looking for something with a 360* brim on it.

Thank you. Good luck and I am glad you got it early. I would definitely take the Evander Holyfield look over the big dirt nap. Perspective is a tough thing sometimes, but if you always lack it, I pity you. I guess sometimes we all need a reminder.

Hopefully the helmet doesn't hurt too much, but that is what they call the good kinda hurt.
Cheers to many more days of putting on the helmet and pulling them tight. I love this sport.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
I had a 2-1/2" round red clearance light mounted in the center of the dash (not in front of driver). When I pulled a 4 wheels off the ground wheelie, when I came down, the pump drive disconnected from the distributor. As I was idling down the track, I finally noticed the light was one. I also run an accumulator. Shut the car off and coast down to the turn off area.

Bought a distributor with an adjustable collar to make sure it's fully engaged into the pump drive and torn the engine down for inspection. Scuffed a few bearings but other than that, no damaged.

Since then, I now have a super bright LED surface mount strobe right in front of the driver. Can't miss it. Especially at night Smile

Can't remember my pressure switch setting but it also may be a 20 psi.

Something similar to this.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post